• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Optima MK3

There is one for sale here now for $250 I think. And it's from Yeticomm. They are great radios for SSB use and are not bad on AM. No they don't have that big Galaxy sound on AM, but they are clean and clear. Yes you can mod them to work well on AM I am sure, but they are or were built more for SSB and FM use it would seem to me from my own experience with using one for almost over a year in the mobile. And also used as a base radio too. Have had mine for almost 3 years I believe. Had a magnum 257hp before that and it worked well on AM and SSB, but the radio was just too damn fragile and rhey had issues. Throwing carrier, didn't like VSWR over 1.3:1, they started acting funny. Just weren't built with the same quality as the optima MK3. And the filter for SSB is a big plus!! It's really knocks down unwanted noise and enables you to pick up way more actual contacts. Did for me anyways. But those that are looking for big AM sound might as well stick to something like a cobra 29, or some of the older magnum radios such as the s45, S9, and so on. Or a Galaxy or connex radio.
Hey 338, didn't you say you were going to order a 2018 extreme mic for the optima mk3 you have?? If so, how did it work with the radio?? Not like it? You could always have the mods done to make it work well on AM. Per Yeticom LTD, it's possible. Don't see why it wouldn't be. But it would require some mods I am sure. Anyways.
Also remeber that there are still a few of these radios being sold by Yeticomm LTD. right now. I just posted a pic somewhere of the ad and website for them. They are $250 plus shipping I believe. Here is the ad again as of 1-31-17. Hope this helps someone!!
I did get a 2018 xtreme and a mic adapter. The ptt switch sticks in transmit. Just what I need, another project :eek: I have been trying to get my amp running, but swr is out of control so I think I will send it in to have it checked out. I am planning to keep the optima unless that starts acting up like everything else I touch relating to radio.

Reactions: 222DBFL
That is one thing I has issue with on my 2018 extreme. Try loosening the back screw that doubles as the mic hanger. That might help. Don't overtighten the back of the mic. This seemed to be the reason mine stuck. Other than that the mic itself works great on most any radio I have put it on including my Icom 746. Just turn the echo down inside the mic and use it as a power mic. Or add just a touch and i mean just a touch of reverb. Other then the sticky PTT they work quite well. Hope you get it resolved and working right.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
I have a fairly nice 148 I would be interested in trading, no echo board either though. It does have variable power, and extra channels. I get great audio reports with it. I will try and get some pictures of it later. If you are actually in the black hills, we might be able to meet up so you can see/hear it in person I'm not that far from there.

I have a fairly nice 148 I would be interested in trading, no echo board either though. It does have variable power, and extra channels. I get great audio reports with it. I will try and get some pictures of it later. If you are actually in the black hills, we might be able to meet up so you can see/hear it in person I'm not that far from there.
Where was it made, and has it been recapped? Does it have 27.415-27.455?
I have actually been looking forward to giving the optima another try, but I'm still open to fair trades. I am in spearfish now.

It is a Phillipine made, and it's fully expanded but I would have to check to be exact. I do not think it has had the caps replaced. I got it from a friend because it wasn't working. I then took it to a member of one of the radio clubs I used to be part of who has worked on radios for years. He fixed it, and did the mods. I have been using it pretty much daily for years now, never had an issue with it.

It is a Phillipine made, and it's fully expanded but I would have to check to be exact. I do not think it has had the caps replaced. I got it from a friend because it wasn't working. I then took it to a member of one of the radio clubs I used to be part of who has worked on radios for years. He fixed it, and did the mods. I have been using it pretty much daily for years now, never had an issue with it.
I am going to have to pass on this one. I got my 148 up and running, and the optima is growing on me. Is this the 148 I saw posted on craigslist?

I have an Optima MK3 that I ordered from coldfrontsales on 1-30-16. I opened it to change the mode, and nothing else was touched. I also drilled the hole over the mic, but other than that it hasn't been monkeyed with. This radio has been overhead in my truck for most of the time I've had it. I haven't really cared for it because it isn't that great on am, the buttons don't light up, and noise cancelling mics don't work well with it. I would keep it if I ever planned to setup a base, but it sucks in the mobile.

I would really like to trade it for a nice 148 or grant xl or lt. Echo, talkback and extra channels would be nice if not a hack job. You must be a reputable and contributing member here, and I would be willing to send first so you could check it out. I will try to sell it if no trade deals are made. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow
Is this still available??

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated