• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Optima Saga

ponykilr

Feb 20, 2014
I have been waffling backward and forward about the Optima for a couple of months. I bought a used (like new) MKIII from Duster and I am glad I did it. It is a very nicely built radio.

Just a few notes that may help others here and elsewhere:

The plastic electrical connector on the radio side of the harness pulled right off with hardly any pressure. I always check this as when I was a GM tech I saw MANY connectors which were not crimped solidly. I was able to remove the pins and re-crimp them, but if you have not checked yours this could lead to the radio being under powered as well as building up heat from high resistance.

I needed mounting bolts/knobs as they were not with the radio (I purchased it knowing this) and I took it with me to the hardware store to get something. I ended up with hex/allen button head bolts and rubber washers. They are 4mm in size.

The mounting bracket I ended up buying is for a Cobra 25 which is about 3/16 too wide but with my rubber washers it ended up being perfect.

For any Ford Super Duty owners, there seems to be no great place to mount a radio where it looks natural and not like a pimple on a prom queen. I made this custom steel bracket and glued carpet over it back when I ran my General Lee and it works great for the Optima too. I have posted a few pics so you maybe could copy the idea. It is aprox 16 gauge steel. It just sits in the pocket and rests on the underside of the dash on the lower end. One of those anti slip black pads in the pocket keeps it from moving but a screw under the dash could also be used if you are a bit of a rough driver.

I have this radio paired with a Sirio P5000, after I wire up the power I will report back with how well it seems to perform.

Ditch the stock mic and get an icom HM-36 mic, not the knockoff one either, the real one. I was able to find a good used one for 22 shipped. It makes a world of difference. JMO. I too had issues with the connector and just removed it as I feel this is a choke point for power. Mine is in the mobile now and is working great. The addition of the icom mic was definitely a step up. Bigger mic than the stock Mickey Mouse mic and the mic element is where it's supposed to be, in the middle of the mic. The mount looks great man! Mine isn't as nice looking as yours but here are a couple of photos.
eqevevab.jpg
ebehu6uq.jpg

I also got an adapter to use 4 pin mic's as well
8e5anara.jpg
tazarezu.jpg

Total cost for everything was just over 300. Radio, mic and adapter. Great radio IMO. Does the job for me. I too have the sirio antenna, using the turbo 5000 right now with the pl145 mag mount. Upgraded to lmr240 coax on the mag mount. Works well and has gotten great audio reports. Clean and clear is the word so I have been told by my locals. And they don't BS me!!
Enjoy that radio, I know I am! God bless and happy dx'ing.

Reactions: 1 person
Ditch the stock mic and get an icom HM-36 mic, not the knockoff one either, the real one. I was able to find a good used one for 22 shipped. It makes a world of difference. JMO. I too had issues with the connector and just removed it as I feel this is a choke point for power. Mine is in the mobile now and is working great. The addition of the icom mic was definitely a step up. Bigger mic than the stock Mickey Mouse mic and the mic element is where it's supposed to be, in the middle of the mic. The mount looks great man! Mine isn't as nice looking as yours but here are a couple of photos.
eqevevab.jpg
ebehu6uq.jpg

I also got an adapter to use 4 pin mic's as well
8e5anara.jpg
tazarezu.jpg

Total cost for everything was just over 300. Radio, mic and adapter. Great radio IMO. Does the job for me. I too have the sirio antenna, using the turbo 5000 right now with the pl145 mag mount. Upgraded to lmr240 coax on the mag mount. Works well and has gotten great audio reports. Clean and clear is the word so I have been told by my locals. And they don't BS me!!
Enjoy that radio, I know I am! God bless and happy dx'ing.
where did u find adapter for mic?

here is a good JAPAN hm-14 mic for some ones optima,, its basically a Japan hm-36 with the added buttons on the backside(will still function the same as a japan hm36 mic), good deal for an original icom mic if you don't want to go with the clone hm-36's,,

the original japan hm-36 ones are the ones you want,, just pull the cotton wadding out of the element area and they sound great

Vintage Icom IC HM14 Hand Held Mic Microphone CB Radio 8 Pin | eBay

if you have an original CHINA HM-36,, this mod works great and is cheap and easy:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/667082_.html

Last edited:
Found the adapter on eBay as well. It was like 10 dollars shipped. Works well with my uniden or 2018 extreme mic. Thanks camaro1, I have one of the hm36 mic's that was made in Japan. Got it used, but it works great. I had to double check the back, but it definitely says Japan. It has the element in the center, and a a couple of resistors already on it. The element is held in place with a metal bracket. And it has the good ptt switch in it as well. I am happy with it for sure. Couldn't beat the price. 22 shipped. It was slightly and I Mean slightly used but in great condition.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.