• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Out the Box SSB

texas ranger 296, very simlar to the old style 148's, easy to tune 22 watts pep with a simple peak and tune :)

The older Uniden Grant xl right out of the box or with a simple correct alignment was rock solid. It's not gonna pound out big watts but great audio, clean, and no drifting.

One of the Texas Ranger radio's with a 900 number also seems to do well, can't remember which one it is now.

If you can get the 148GTL or Grant XL or LT used and not hacked up as Justin said ,I think you would be good to go , I will also agree on the Texas Ranger 296 ......IM not sure ? but I think they might have been discontinued as well ,but don't quote me on that. You also have the Galaxy 949/959 , with a little tlc they to are fairly decent radios as well and very easily modded for more channels. IM kind of old school myself and you can get pretty lucky on Ebay or even these radios sites in finding a very good used model for a more then fair price. Think Justin just got himself a brand new in the box Grant XL for 150.00 on this Forum , man !!! You just can't beat that !!

for a basic sidebander even the Galaxy 959's are not too bad for the price-- alot of the older stuff was made better but if your looking for something new thats still available on the market the 959 glaxy is decent for the price-- if its matched with the right mic they sound good-- I've heard some that sound a little bassy, thats ok if you like that but I prefer a little higher tone for a mobile-- but its a ok radio that has dual final capabilty and expansion for extra channels if you want that sort of thing down the road

A ranger 696f or 396f mobile might be wirth checking out too

If you can find an old Grant that would be a cool radio for you-- but the 3 I mentioned arn't too bad for simple ssb cb radios-- some Galaxies have issues with solder connections but the 959's I've ran accross so far are not too bad of a radio for a cb-- I haven't seen alot of them up here but what I have seen seems to be decent and haven't had any problems

Forget exports, they suck. 148 GTL/Grant XL, better audio, better RX. One of the easiest to mod, Cobra 2000 is the same thing, but a base with counter.

Looks like the TR-296 is discountinued. I'm looking at the Galaxy's.
Ranger has replaced the 296 series w/the 966.

Ebay that trustworthy? I've found it's a hit and miss on there.

Thanks for the opinions.

I guess IM just one of the lucky ones when it comes to Ebay ? been a member and seller now for 4 years , my experiances there have been 98% in the good , you need to look at others feedbacks and ask questions and get a feel for the sellers , I personally do not have a problem with Ebay, but it surely pays to do some investagating before you decide to buy.

Any of the Cobra 148 models with the mic out the side of the radio, as long as its in clean shape inside and out. ALL of the Uniden Grant models are good, as are most of the President Grant models. The only President Grant I'd stay away from is the original 858 PLL version, and only because some parts are very hard to get, and are very expensive.

I think the question was..
What was best non import radio..
Many are talking of Import radios..
So if you want to go import..
then i shall say Icom 706MKIIG or even better Icom IC-7000

if is Non Import..
maybe older 148GTL..
better yet..146GTL (had louder audio then the 148)

Later

Uniden Grant Or a Cobra 148 without the BS soundtracker joke setup in it older 148 are great but getting harder to come by. There is also the superstar 148 that are simular to the older 148 and there reasonably priced.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.