• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

outlaws on our 10 meter band

Al n3izr

Apr 28, 2013
Hello I'd like to see more users of 10 meters use the lower part of band.
I am talking about 28.400 and lower right down to 28.300 we are having
a lot of outlaw users coming in to this part of the band . I also see this
lower in band also so lets not forget CW too. If we don't use it it may be
the new free band ! for the outlaws.

73 Al / N3IZR

Reactions: 2 people

I agree, especially since 10 has been for awhile. On the other hand, not living near any major highway or interstate I never hear anyone on 10 except Hams. Now I know it's not just related to truckers using 10 illegally, but I just don't hear it. I know it exists because a lot of folks post about it.

Myself being a Ham technician I stay waaaay away from 28.300. I will dip down to 28.380. I don't want to bleed over(maybe) to the CW portion. That's one of the reasons I don't go down there, the other is there's just nothing going on down there around my neck of the woods.

Reactions: 1 person
Try Europe, as soon the 10 meter is open, the FM signals from Russia etc of the illegal taxi cab users pop in with wall to wall signal....
That from 25 MHz up to 30 MHz.....

Part of the problem would be eliminated if the mode sub-bands were eliminated. With the bottom 300 KHz restricted to CW and with the elimination of the code requirement there are a vast number of operators that are qualified to operate on 10m yet are not able to operate in the lower 300 KHz of the band except those that choose to learn CW. I have no such restrictions here and can operate SSB or AM or whatever right to the band edges allowing for transmitted bandwidth of course. USB on 28.001 is perfectly legal here. Some may bitch about the band plan etc but would they rather have interlopers on the band who don't give a damn about causing interference or a licensed operator that does? Whenever I do happen to operate low in the band (any band) I make sure that there are no stations nearby that I may interfere with. If they come along later too bad.I have been called out as a pirate before or accused of operating out of band especially on 10m and 80m when operating below 3725 KHz. I just wish that USA amateurs would learn that the FCC regulates USA hams and not the rest of the world and that the ARRL band plan is a suggestion. Lots of other countries have legal authority to operate different modes on frequencies outside what the FCC dictates.

Reactions: 8 people
...edit.... With the bottom 300 KHz restricted to CW and with the elimination of the code requirement there are a vast number of operators that are qualified to operate on 10m yet are not able to operate in the lower 300 KHz of the band....

I have to agree, regulation by bandwith does kinda make sense, but,..... some of us came up through the incentive licenseing system and allowing TECHs the same privledges as Advanced or Amateur Extras may be a hard sell. however, I do think that the lower 300KHz on 10 should be open to all classes and all modes. get rid of the beacon subband and make 28.000 to 28.500 USB for the TECHs.

there is a group of spanish speaking AMers and their silly noise toys on 28.125. I have made it a point to operate on or about 28.124 <More audio>while pointing my antenna directly at them.<can not stand it><can not stand it>
it doesn't take long and they go away

Last edited:
...edit...Myself being a Ham technician I stay waaaay away from 28.300. I will dip down to 28.380. I don't want to bleed over(maybe) to the CW portion...

actually, there may be more activity there than you think.

don't worry about going out of operating privs until you get to around 28.303 USB or 28.497 USB on phone.

Part of the problem would be eliminated if the mode sub-bands were eliminated. With the bottom 300 KHz restricted to CW and with the elimination of the code requirement there are a vast number of operators that are qualified to operate on 10m yet are not able to operate in the lower 300 KHz of the band except those that choose to learn CW. I have no such restrictions here and can operate SSB or AM or whatever right to the band edges allowing for transmitted bandwidth of course. USB on 28.001 is perfectly legal here. Some may bitch about the band plan etc but would they rather have interlopers on the band who don't give a damn about causing interference or a licensed operator that does? Whenever I do happen to operate low in the band (any band) I make sure that there are no stations nearby that I may interfere with. If they come along later too bad.I have been called out as a pirate before or accused of operating out of band especially on 10m and 80m when operating below 3725 KHz. I just wish that USA amateurs would learn that the FCC regulates USA hams and not the rest of the world and that the ARRL band plan is a suggestion. Lots of other countries have legal authority to operate different modes on frequencies outside what the FCC dictates.

Couldnt have said it better nor summed it up better myself!!! Ill tell ya what, I started on 11 meters like most and had alot of great radios with open frequency usage and WE NEVER EVER WOULD HAVE EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT GOING INTO OR GETTING REMOTELY CLOSE TO THE 10 METER BAND!!! It seems now days either people dont know or realize what a no no they are doing or its just a COMPLETE LACK OF BRAINS!!

Outlaws

All I can say it drives me nuts when I find a nice contact below 28.400
and some Spanish speaking CBer comes on in AM with reverb and Bleep Bleep !
Or starts playing a Spanish Rap? The other day I was on.380 with
a nice group of guys in Texas one guy had a Mexican dope runner making
remarks about killing him! If he didn't get off his channel as he called it.
We moved anyhow at .395 we now get music on LSB! We moved up to
.420 and had a good time till band died.

Al / N3IZR :bdh:

hear the lsb on 28mhz all the time,

All I can say it drives me nuts when I find a nice contact below 28.400
and some Spanish speaking CBer comes on in AM with reverb and Bleep Bleep !
Or starts playing a Spanish Rap? The other day I was on.380 with
a nice group of guys in Texas one guy had a Mexican dope runner making
remarks about killing him! If he didn't get off his channel as he called it.
We moved anyhow at .395 we now get music on LSB! We moved up to
.420 and had a good time till band died.

Al / N3IZR :bdh:

And its on 28420 and they move the vfo up and down,and also on 28380am and also on 28395am,for 28305 or 28315

Hello I'd like to see more users of 10 meters use the lower part of band.
I am talking about 28.400 and lower right down to 28.300 we are having
a lot of outlaw users coming in to this part of the band . I also see this
lower in band also so lets not forget CW too. If we don't use it it may be
the new free band !
for the outlaws.

73 Al / N3IZR

Any serious freebander does not and will not use 10m, those who makes up the largest group.
In fact, some freebanders are and have included Hams and do respect that boundary.

So who is left doing the damage? Those that got an export radio and are trying to cause trouble. I've only heard some illegal traffic from Mexico on 10m; but I'm sure that everybody has experienced a different situation.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional . . .

Any serious freebander does not and will not use 10m, those who makes up the largest group.
In fact, some freebanders are and have included Hams and do respect that boundary.

So who is left doing the damage? Those that got an export radio and are trying to cause trouble. I've only heard some illegal traffic from Mexico on 10m; but I'm sure that everybody has experienced a different situation.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional . . .
Does that mean I have to grow up now that I am past 50?? :(

Reactions: 2 people
outlaws or not, at least someone is using it **Jump_im**

i wish more people would use 6 meter, outlaws or not,,,,,,,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.