• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Outside the US, the Uniden Grant Replacment?

the original jackos 4pin mic a - e bands first came in silver then black face, my buddy was the first with a silver jacko in this county and i was the first to own the original blackface, same radio different color, both were a decent ssb fm radio once the agc mod was done, rejection was poorer than either the 148gtldx or grant,
1 or 2 crystal filters helped the rejection but spoiled the nb, a couple of cap audio mods gave them the bass and trebble back that had been removed when compared to the old exports,
they were not so good on am with its single conversion but nobody here uses am so it got under the radar, very sensitive and a great mobile radio if you dont use am and dont mind some frequency drift,

the later 6pin mic a-f bands version was much more common but imho not as good, somehow they seemed cheaper made,
they did nothing about the well known agc timing problems, they also had the chassis tied to ground with wire jumpers instead of decoupling caps found in the original and other exports,
an external smeter socket was also added which shorted the chassis to ground too, later versions had autosquelch,
the last versions had the 455 final and autosquelch + smeter socket,

even though the first version sounded best on ssb that never stopped the french version becoming very popular, the most popular export of the 90's over here,
smart people prefere to find a good original jacko over the french version, frequency stability is poor on them all, unlocking the clarifier is considered a must around here.

our export grant also came in several versions all used the mb8719 pll,

originals had no kc shift just the clarifier, these for an export had great freq stability and the best fm receive of any cb ever made imho, widely regarded as the best fm cb ever back in the 80's
some folk spoiled the stability by doing lou's superdiode mods or inductors in the clarifier so they could get on zero's and our legal fm ( not me i hate big slide conversions ),

the first blackface came out for a while using the small IF cans and less of them as found in the original ss3900 a cheap clone of the pb010 export cobra board, sometimes refered to as the fake grant, these were shit keep away,

then the french brought out a blackface that was almost identical to the original board with concentric shift and clarifier added,
using newer slightly smaller components in some areas and different tracking thermistors when compared to the original grayface export,
it sounded a little brighter/clearer on both tx and rx in a/b comparisons even though the component values were identical, it still had almost the same frequency stability as the original, it would get our legal fm, generally more frequency stable than other all mode exports,

then came the first french grant classic greyface with autosquelch and kc shift, not many around here and they all had issues with ssb sounding raggedyass nomatter who aligned it, i had a look inside a few and they looked the same as the french blackface with the autosquelch board added, i never looked into why they had issues, my techie buddies disliked them too,

next up was the french blackface with autosquelch, i have never seen or heared one to comment,

the last version on sale here was as far as i know the french greyface classic without autosquelch,
it had the kc/clarifier and seems to work about the same as the second blackface, almost identical apart from the face color,
my buddy bought one new old stock from truck-king a few months back, i unlocked the clarifier for him and aligned it,
it works great for a cb and is more stable on frequency than his other exports,

when you are buying a grant export it pays to know which version you are buying.

This is a good radio! I've had one a couple of weeks, and it runs "neck-to-neck" with my old President Grant Classic "export" in all modes. PLUS, it covers all of 10 meters!
Can't beat that for $320.00, as the quality is light-years ahead of the Galaxy, SuperStar, etc. stuff.

(I have the older '80s version of the Grant export with the gray face.)

look at shockwave's 1st pic in the 2nd group.....WHY does the pic on the rear of the radio show the positive & negative reversed from what it says they should be????? nothing like having to repair a brand new $350+ radio 1st time you plug it in.......

i really don't have time to inspect the schematic, and in truth, the only way to really tell is to actually have a 'hands-on' with the real mccoy. is it a replacement for the grant or is it a replacement for the jackson? the original jackson was NOT a replacement for the original grant, though president made like it was supposed to be. while the export president grant is one of the better exports ever built, it is still an export and as such is 'cheaply' broadbanded to cover a wide swath of spectrum. the 858 president grant is quite possibly a better radio all around from 26.965-27.405 mhz. the mb8719 uniden grant xl, and with the exception of the squelch-thingie, the lt, IS a better radio from 26.965-27.405 then the export grants. rcv & xmit of the 8719 uniden is 2nd to none....especially for a $150 radio. it far outperforms any other radio in its category, and at one heckuva price. it can be pretty heavily modified and still obtain fcc-approved audio, and there is no better receiver, ever. and even it can be improved. now i'm not going to knock the jackson 2's looks, it definitely looks like a grant lt on steroids. i only wish somebody had the ability to import european presidents to the US. the lincoln was more then a fair radio. the george had a ton of bells & whistles but was not really all that hot of a performer. and now this jackson.....i wouldn't mind seeing them available here to give galaxy a bit of competition. heck, i even like the few george's i've played with better then any galaxy. not looking to 'start' anything with this jackson 2 as i have never seen one. i just am trying to introduce a little food for thought into the equation. this is regarding the late model black-faced european jackson, read on.......

'whether or not the president jackson available in europe is made by uniden, i can't answer that'.
as you state bigbob, i have also heard that those available in europe are not real. but i do not know for sure.
also, the rap against the export jackson & its PB042 chassis was that it was dual conversion only on FM, & it's AM reciver was very POOR. its slightly different filtering then the export grant & export 148gtl-dx (PC999 & PB 010 chassis)
accounted for the quieter receive. it was quieter because it didn't hear, & then they filtered down the white noise. to appease those who only knew 'dual conversion' was better, they installed a single mrf477 final, to give the appearance of more output then the dual 1969 finals in the grant,(single 1969 in the cobra). it too was an attempt to cover up its shortcomings. they went with controlled carrier modulation, a cheaper alternative to the high level AM, & therefore the grant & cobra had much punchier AM audio. for SSBers, the jackson was also susceptible to front end overload & audio distortion on even mildly strong SSB signals. an AGC mod to solve that should be done. and because of the final amplifier section in the jackson using the single 477 as opposed to dual 1969's, it's ALC needs to be tweaked, as it is set, when a predetermined power level is reached, the ALC sensor causes a mic audio level reduction & therefore a decrease in power output. kinda like, why put a governor on the high output 477?
so, in truth, the jackson wasn't that great of a radio. the REAL president grant export is the radio to search out. up until recently, there was a superstar grant export available. it was a copy of the real grant export, and as such functioned the same. whether or not it was built to the same standards is not known to me.
i remember being told that president electronics group of france has no connection to uniden, but am not sure of the truth in that. as for your 1988 jackson, kilowatt, that's why it's still going strong. the silver face with the black box were the originals & the best. the all black face that still say president on the front were just made in a different factory. the all black face that say superstar (both jackson & grant) are the copies and PROBABLY still decent.'

I think you'll find french president radio's are built in uniden's factory in shenzhen china.no doubt they aren't as good as uniden radio's of yesteryear built in taiwan and philippines and no doubt the reason uniden is considering relocating back to the philippines outwith the rising anti japanese sentiment in china.

This looks to be the Euro Replacment for the Uniden Grant, The President Jackson II.
AM/FM/SSB With 6 different programmable 40 Channel configurations for different countries ( Full Channel Version looks like 25.610 to 30.110 Mhz ) I have read 8-20w AM/FM and Around 25w SSB out after full channel mod.
Looks like it has a MITSUBISHI RD70HHF1 Silicon MOSFET Power Transistor w/output 70watts@ 30 Mhz.
See the Uniden Label Silkscreened on the board?

Jeff

Is that a microprocessor in there. The square chip?

it says "2007 Uniden" on the board .
i cant make out the board number because of light/flash reflection .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.