• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pace Sidetalk 1000M Problem

After what you have been through already, I am asking for clarification's sake....

At this point... what is not working?

Just from scanning this thread to this point... it sounds like.....

1) No Receive,
2) No Transmit,
3) No PA

Is that correct?

If so, two questions come to my mind......

In the matter of "no receive"..... does the meter deflect? Like... according to the meter... does it look like signal IS coming in... just no audio?

and in the matter of "no transmit"... are you getting carrier but no modulation? Or is absolutely nothing coming out at all?

Generally..... "No Receive" AND "No Transmit" drive me towards making sure that the PLL/VFO are working and "locked". When you add "No PA".... all of it could just be related to "dead audio" but in that case......your meter would likely still wiggle on RCV..... and you could be getting carrier out (in AM) ..... and... have you tried transmit in BOTH AM and SSB?

I'm just trying to get some more information to get a better grip on the problem(s) you are looking at....

After what you have been through already, I am asking for clarification's sake....

At this point... what is not working?

Just from scanning this thread to this point... it sounds like.....

1) No Receive,
2) No Transmit,
3) No PA

Is that correct?

If so, two questions come to my mind......

In the matter of "no receive"..... does the meter deflect? Like... according to the meter... does it look like signal IS coming in... just no audio?

and in the matter of "no transmit"... are you getting carrier but no modulation? Or is absolutely nothing coming out at all?

Generally..... "No Receive" AND "No Transmit" drive me towards making sure that the PLL/VFO are working and "locked". When you add "No PA".... all of it could just be related to "dead audio" but in that case......your meter would likely still wiggle on RCV..... and you could be getting carrier out (in AM) ..... and... have you tried transmit in BOTH AM and SSB?

I'm just trying to get some more information to get a better grip on the problem(s) you are looking at....
that Pace 1000M 23 channel uses crystals. No PLL. The meter doesn't move at all. It's dead just like the trans/receive. Haven't tried trans on LSB or USB but I will next time I hook it up. Doubt it will do anything though.

I'm accustomed to at least applying the "analog digital manual signal injector" to the 7.8 MHz crystal filter. Should be a raucous noise level when touching the filter's output pin. A somewhat-lower noise level should still be audible touching it to the filter's input pin.

If not, the trouble is downstream from that filter.

I'm accustomed to at least applying the "analog digital manual signal injector" to the 7.8 MHz crystal filter. Should be a raucous noise level when touching the filter's output pin. A somewhat-lower noise level should still be audible touching it to the filter's input pin.

If not, the trouble is downstream from that filter.

hahah... THAT is what I call "putting your finger on the problem"!!!!! And it is great advice. So that WILL cause a reaction in the radio?????

that Pace 1000M 23 channel uses crystals. No PLL. The meter doesn't move at all. It's dead just like the trans/receive. Haven't tried trans on LSB or USB but I will next time I hook it up. Doubt it will do anything though.
Still that information can lead to an ultimate solution.
The whole transmit chain works differently for AM versus SSB. The modulation is applied differently from different points in the circuit....and power is applied to the final and driver a little differently.
It is kind of the same for SSB as well. If you can (if you have another radio available) try both RCV and XMT in both AM and both sidebands.

As we are troubleshooting remotely.... all the information we can get ... can help.
Thanks!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.