• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Painted Predator Antenna

I have contacted some one from a email address that was on my packaging when I purchased the predator .
He has said the coil has to be 4" above the roof. My antenna has 2 coils still under the roof line . ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363053056.149526.jpg

I have contacted some one from a email address that was on my packaging when I purchased the predator .
He has said the coil has to be 4" above the roof. My antenna has 2 coils still under the roof line . View attachment 9485

That could be the problem in a nutshell.
Can't have the coils close to the sheetmetal.
Out of curiosity; What does the 102 show for swr and is also mounted where this coil antenna is mounted?

One picture is worth a thousand words.

I saw some where on the net. Where a guy made a shaft from a pice of copper tubbing. Will this work ? I mean just making the bottom shaft longer .

I saw some where on the net. Where a guy made a shaft from a pice of copper tubbing. Will this work ? I mean just making the bottom shaft longer .

Depends on how much longer you need to make it.
If the copper is thin-walled then it may well start to bend with the force of the wind.
Depends on how much longer you need to make it.
Maybe someone else on the forum has some ideas for this.
This is one you should have run through the forum before you bought it; I am sure plenty of guys here in the forum would have caught this problem before it occured had you provided sufficient information about the dimensions.

But it sure looks to me by looking at the picture that the loading coil is too close to the roof line.

Tell Kale you need a 27" lower shaft.
The way the coil is machined it is not 3/8-24 top and bottom, and it would be stronger the way he makes them in the long run than Copper tubing.
Kale is a good machinist.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
Like was said above - the coil is to close to the cab.

I had mine on a 17" shaft mounted on the roof, even then I had to go to a 22" shaft in order to get it to work effeciently.

I painted mine with a epoxy paint (gunmetal grey), it never effected the tx/rx or swr.

My Predator worked very well for me, never a problem.

I agree with everyone else. Extending the bracket is a bad idea. I run the 27 inch single coil in same exact spot you have yours mounted. Mine tuned down to 1.2ish pretty much all across 11m band. I was a little scared of the long shaft length, but mine has been holding up fine. My truck has 3 inch lift and I've already smacked a few limbs and low ceilings on drive thrus with the 10k whip. Hasnt bothered it at all!

I agree with everyone else. Extending the bracket is a bad idea. I run the 27 inch single coil in same exact spot you have yours mounted. Mine tuned down to 1.2ish pretty much all across 11m band. I was a little scared of the long shaft length, but mine has been holding up fine. My truck has 3 inch lift and I've already smacked a few limbs and low ceilings on drive thrus with the 10k whip. Hasnt bothered it at all!

How long was your whip when you where done tuning it. I mean total length when it's not mounted in the antenna.
Thanks

btw, your paint job looks really good. Hopefully your whip will be ok for length once you get the longer shaft. I think mine is the 22", and it puts the coil well over the cab of my truck.

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.