• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

palamar 300a

hotrod

Feb 16, 2007
n.w pennsylvania
got a local that picked up alot of equiment in a estate . he got this amp dont know much about it.
ive seen pic of this amp with a matching power supply . is this needed for this amp . he has a 110 cord and had it on with tubes glowing. he was told he needs it but i cant see why???

There are 2 versions of this amp, depending on the year it was built. Some 300A's have the power supply built in, others require the (separate) power supply. Look for a place in the back of the amp for a multi-prong plug to plug into. If it has it, it needs the separate HV power supply and will not function.

~Cheers~

Reactions: 543_Dallas
If the radio has a plug in the wall cord already in use, no need for the 2nd supply I wouldn't think. If the tubes were glowing it was powered up! Exit 13 are you saying the 2nd supply is needed as well as the one that is built in? He did state that it has a 110vac cord attached already and that the owner did plug it in and the tubes did glow.
I would think Hotrod that if it's plugged into the wall and the tubes were glowing, it's most likely working. That or the internal HV power supply is about shot and the amp was being powered by the other power supply. The amp may turn on and make the tubes warm up, but it may not have enough amperage to actually use the amp. That seems like the more logical answer, but I could be wrong. Exit 13 will clear the air for me hopefully if I'm wrong about what I am saying.;)(y).

So what is the other 110 plug for?? Just curious?? As posted by hotrod, the radio has been plugged into 110vac and the tubes lit up. Next to last sentence of the of the paragraph.
"he has a 110 cord and had it on with the tubes glowing".
He wasn't using the second supply as far as I can tell. Or what is being called the HV supply. Now the question is does he need the 2nd supply??
I wouldn't think so if the amp has been plugged into 110VAC already and powered up? Or am I missing something here?? Again, just curious.

From what little there is out there on this amp It seems to have most of the power supply built into the rf deck. The rf deck could be providing filament voltage to light the tubes. The HV is supplied by the outboard PS.

I don't see any info out there stating there are two versions of the 300A. I suppose there could be. The RF deck weighs about 11 lbs. and the PS weight in at 12lbs according to the 3 page manual which doesn't cover a whole lot.

I've never seen one for sale without the outboard PS unless the seller stated that the PS was not included.

Reactions: 222DBFL
thanks guys . he was afraid to really try it out..someone told him he needed that box
i dont know anything about that amp . i did find the manual for it on cbtricks. but from what i seen i really didnt see anything bout a ext,. power supply..i could of missed it. will have to go thru it again

thanks guys . he was afraid to really try it out..someone told him he needed that box
i dont know anything about that amp . i did find the manual for it on cbtricks. but from what i seen i really didnt see anything bout a ext,. power supply..i could of missed it. will have to go thru it again

As far as I know from the 5 Palomar 300's a that I own,they all required the external power supply

There are 2 versions of the power supply too

The Palomar 350z has the power supply built in or inside the cabinet which get hot and cause premature component failure even with external cooling,unless the transformer is remove and place in a separate enclosure and still requires good cooling

My 2 Pesos

Reactions: hotrod

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.