• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palm Frequency Counter

C2

Aug 3, 2005
They have it, a frequency counter that will run on your palm...

I just discovered it while looking for VNA applications, which I did not yet find.

My Palm is old, so this should work on most newer palms. Requires only Palm 3.5 or later. It's free and looks cool.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/frequencyp.shtml

The question for the technically conquered, where is the CTS pin on the Palm? Mine has a 8 pins to a USB cradle. It would be cool to hook it up and take some measurements. I imagine it takes TTL levels? Or maybe CMOS (3.3V)?

Oh yes, BTW, does anybody here use Palms anymore?

On the author's web site, says you use DTR and RXdata, both are RS-232 port designations. Unless you have a "serial" port on your Palm, it's probably too new for this trick.

But here's the kicker, quoted from Rodolfo Turco's web site:

The tipical range for an old Palm IIIxe is 1Hz - 3kHz, but with the newest Palms you should go up to 25 kHz, let me know you results.

Not sure what you'll be counting at frequencies below 25 khz.

It's not a RF counter. Too slow.

Mine is an old Visor, vintage 2000.

I should be able to find the pins on the bottom of the unit since the cradle was available in both serial and USB.

I was also thinking, with severely sacrificed accuracy, that the input could be down scaled.

It was just an interesting find.

nomadradio said:
Not sure what you'll be counting at frequencies below 25 khz. It's not a RF counter. Too slow.

I think it would be great for piano tuners, or guitar players, however, depending on how accurate it really is.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.