• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

palomar 200x amplifier has a problem

lost bandit

Apr 6, 2016
Va
I have a amplifier that blew a bottom filter capacitor 450v 100uf both were put in a couple months ago i believe they were around 50.00 dollars for the both.have had no problem til now i had a used one that came out of it after powering it up again it blew also.checked the fuse it was a higher amp fuse than it should have been 30amp should have check it first my mistake .purchased another new one installed it and power it up to 24v with a variac than 35v notice the transformer was starting to smell and getting very hot backed it down to 18v to check some voltage all tube were new so i left them out still was getting hot the new capacitor was starting to bulge all caps has voltage but none of the sockets, all diode checks good, checked the disc capacitors checked good ,also chokes are not shorted,no burnt wires nothing .does anyone have a clue what maybe the problem or what it could be.everything seems to be pointing toward the transformer sure hope not....sorry for such a long thread. thanks

The 30 Amp fuse may have already blown out that transformer. Only way to tell is to unhook the wires that feed the high-voltage rectifiers and try again. If it powers all the way up to full line voltage, and the tube's heaters light up, it could still be okay.

Or it may be toast.

I would suspect that one or more of the rectifiers that feed the 100uf filter capacitors has shorted. We learned to change them whenever those high-voltage filter caps get replaced. A bad rectifier is a good way to pop a new filter capacitor.

The right fuse might have tripped soon enough to save the transformer, might not have.

But a 30 Amp is what we call a "No-Blow" fuse. The house breaker would have tripped out first. Not legal to use one over 20 Amps on a 120-Volt circuit.

Nomadradio if i remove the filter capacitor the one i had replaced it will power up all the way and run cool .i will do what you said.thanks very much

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.