• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 400 Elite.. had to do it..

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Saw this come up recently up on one of my YTube subscriptions.. has 4*1446 in it.

I figured for my low drive Ranger 296 it may be a good match up with that and my A99 to get into the 'sandpile'.. price was decent for a 4 pill..

Video shows it slamming like 450w on high but that was with modded C29.. and you know it's splattering..

I figure medium setting and just under 300w should do for my SSB needs. Ranger does about 15w PEP max on SSB.. my voice is like 8-11w on swings..

I know the amp has the 1446 pills rated at 5w drive max..

Should be here Tuesday.. and I'm off that day.. :). Now if conditions would pick back up for the NE we'd be GTG.

Screenshot_20190828-095947.png

Reactions: S&W357

i saw that.
i bought the 600 new back in the day and it was a fine box.
hope you enjoy.
seller seems like a straight shooter

Reactions: CB590
Anyone know max bypass wattage with the unit off??

Also does this unit have to have constant power to it in the bypass mode like my RM203 does??

Only running 10-20w PEP max with the unit when off, figured I'd ask..

Here's a spec sheet power curve on the SD1446..

Screenshot_20190902-084750.png

I'm no expert on amps by any means but running that radio through that box in the off position shouldn't cause any problems.

Max bypass wattage?

Same as max drive wattage. The keying circuit is always tapped into the "standby" side of the amplifier. Excess power in "bypass" mode with the power turned off usually toasts the keying circuit.

Worst case, might damage contact points in the preamp relay. It's pretty small. Your bypass wattage goes through the standby side of this relay, as well as the main relay.

If tapping on the top of the preamp relay causes your receiver signal to make crunchy noises, or causes it to cut in and out, this means the standby side of that relay has gone bad.

If it has a top cover that can be popped off, you can fix this problem by bypassing it completely. Normally, you would do this by removing the pc board from the amplifier (ugh!), removing the preamp relay from the pc board, and installing a wire jumper in its place.

This method is a lot more efficient if the relay has that removable top cover.

Nyge1a.jpg

Reactions: Robalo
If tapping on the top of the preamp relay causes your receiver signal to make crunchy noises, or causes it to cut in and out, this means the standby side of that relay has gone bad.

If it has a top cover that can be popped off, you can fix this problem by bypassing it completely. Normally, you would do this by removing the pc board from the amplifier (ugh!), removing the preamp relay from the pc board, and installing a wire jumper in its place.

This method is a lot more efficient if the relay has that removable top cover.

Nyge1a.jpg

Thanks. No issues yet.

Just a general inquiry if anyone knew the 400 Elite Bypass amount..

It's a cb amp, there really is no spec sheet that gives you that information. It comes down to common sense, a radio that does 10-20 watts PEP should be fine. Trying to run a 50-60 watt Export radio through that amp would probably not be good.

Reactions: CB590
Keying circuit. Senses the RF carrier from your radio and closes the transmit relay.

The factory circuit was simpler. This one is a field modification.

Won't win any beauty contests, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I hear you. Wonder what a tech that knows what there doing to go thru it and square it up..

There isn't none up here in NY state.. so I have to mail it.. which isn't an issue.

I'm seeing 300w swing on SSB on medium when pushing my AT6666 on low power to it.. like 16-18w pep (as tuned).. I'm happy with that number.. my voice is doing between 180-260w on my meter. My AM carrier is like 60w with little swing upward (but I don't have a pep meter) so I am guessing like 240w+ on AM.. only a tiny hair of relay chatter on SSB when I stop talking (aka breathing) for a second.. as long as I'm talking continuously it stays quiet..

Last edited:
I always cringe when I see wire nuts in an application that is not house wiring.

Should have seen the 2 on the back and taped up to boot when I got it.. was terrible.

Plan is to solder the 10 guage wire (that I added as shown) inside the amp. Not sure if my 30w iron will melt the solder properly to do it though. I may send out to have it looked at and that done as well.

IMG_20190903_125534434.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?