• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 450 FET

I hade a LD model for about a year...it was a good liitle amp would see 500 watts out of it driven by my HR2510, gotta run a fan on them as they do get warm.

i believe it is newer being that it has the 7530`s in it .previous palomar fet amps did not use this transistor.
we start to see alot of this fet being used now .

i believe it is newer being that it has the 7530`s in it .previous palomar fet amps did not use this transistor.
we start to see alot of this fet being used now .

What was in them before? as mine is over a year old and has the 7530's in it.

The bi-polar transistor versions of their amps can be biased class B upon request. But it's not worth it. If you plan on running SSB, class B isn't enough biasing. That's why I re-biased my 2x4 X-Force base amp to class AB. I'm not real sure on their mosfet amps tho if they kept it the same as bi-polar transistor versions. Be interesting to find out if they do.

~Cheers~

That's why I'm a little Leary of this 450 FET. I'm wondering if its only B biased.

Find out next week when I pull the top off. I emailed DNJ, and they flat out said it's AB1 with a tuned input.

Got the amp today (450 HD FET) and hooked it up to the trusty little Optima.

SSB sounds like SHIT. Input SWR is 2.5:1.

Supposed to be a tuned input and AB1 amp.

IMG_20130320_155800_167_zps692a7040.jpg

I can't open the case to take pics and gander yet because of warranty. Dunno what their posture will be yet.

Got the amp today (450 HD FET) and hooked it up to the trusty little Optima.

SSB sounds like SHIT. Input SWR is 2.5:1.

Supposed to be a tuned input and AB1 amp.

IMG_20130320_155800_167_zps692a7040.jpg

I can't open the case to take pics and gander yet because of warranty. Dunno what their posture will be yet.

Man, you sure do have poor fortune when it comes to equipment. Sorry to hear about that. Thought I had it tough.

The two local ops I know that have/use this amp didn't have any problems that didn't get sorted out. The problems one had is that he didn't use a big enough supply. He also had the ALC in the radio up too high. Maybe that can help you.

These MOSFET amps will draw a lot more than 40-50 amps as that sheet said. No way 40 amps. On peaks, it will likely draw closer to 60 or even possibly 70 amps. We are talking about MOSFETs and amp efficiency here @ the 500w mark.

You might try the Low Pass filter BETWEEN the amp and radio as an experiment to see if the radio is giving off some harmonics in the amp. I would. If so; then the ALC adjustment would be my first guess for the cause. If all else fails send it back to the seller; I would.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1