• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 450HD

heffer

Dec 5, 2013
Anyone ever run a magnum 257hp radio with a palomar 450 hd amp before....any results? I suppose that this radio as dead key and swing goes, would be ok to run stock into this amp.

If it's the 4 pill with 1446 finals that radio might be just a touch hot. If it's the new Palomar 450 mosfet version it will be just fine.

Reactions: 1 person
I myself use the magnum 257hp with a magna force 350hd it has 2 2879's, dead key set at 2 watts, works well and amp never gets warm. Open your palomar up and have a look at the transistors. If it's true high drive box, you should be okay like posted above, if it has the 1446 or similar transistors, the radio may have too much total pep power. I am not really familiar with MOSFET amps, like said, pull the cover off and see what's inside. It all comes down to the transistor type and the bias settings. My magnaforce 350hd is biased b and talks well for a 2 transistor amp with the 2879 transistors. Specs for mine stated up to 4 watts dead key with a 120 watt pep, my radio does 60-80 watts and it matches well with the magnaforce.
Take some photos of the inside and post them if you are unsure about what to look for. Hope you get it figured out, and make sure that you put a watt meter inline before putting the amp in and set your radios dead key for around 2 watts, mark it if possible with a silver sharpie. Saves a lot of headache trying to keep looking at the watt meter and driving and stuff. JMO and it's what I did to mine, and remember that the magnum 257hp works a little different on ssb and requires the power be set all the way up for proper operation, I have found that if the radio isn't right and I mean right as in tuned and aligned and set properly that your amp may go into oscillation trying to use it for ssb mode with the magnum 257hp. These are just my findings after using 2 of them for over 6 months now everyday. Good luck and hope this helps some. God bless .

After a quick search I found that this amp is not a true HD amp. I would definitely pop the cover and take some photos and post them here, that way someone with knowledge about what they see will respond, but I don't think you will be able to use the magnum 257hp with that amp. Too much pep from the radio. Good luck and keep us updated. God bless.

Yea that Magna Force 350 was a beast. X-Force no longer builds them, they switched to the TnT line. That version would then be called the TnT 350.

Yes sir, it's a great little amp, does well with the magnum 257hp or any radio I have put behind it. Get good audio reports all the Time even on ssb. I paid 80 for it, and got power cable and the Anderson connectors with it to boot. Was a good find and I am very happy with it, and you are correct, it would now be a TNT 350HD. The newer TNT line doesn't look bad at all, my brother in law has a 4 pill new style TNT box that is built quite nicely. But yes the magna force is a little beast for what it is. Would make for one heck of a driver for a lager setup as well.

I also liked that the Magna Force amps had a switched SSB delay, the smaller TnT amps are auto. The metal case on the TnT amps is a lot heavier too. I liked the look of the light weight red case Magna's.

ery7aby5.jpg

I do love mine

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.