• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar ERF-2030+

One of my (many) unanswered questions back then when these EKL 2030 started to show up was, if they were more like IGBT (Insulated Gate - Bipolar Transistors) A different beast and as far as I can tell, not meant for RF applications above 2 MHz or even that. They are slow and highly capacitive gates/base designs - and are made more for handling inductive loads and variable dimmers that Thrysistors are more suited for than IGBT's, but to each their own.

In regards to "capacitance"?

Think of the circuit - the Bias breakpoint being the Input Cap, and the Gate being the other "crude" cap.

Now, once you understand the concepts of one cap working a lot like a pass-thru filter cap - then the issue of driving it becomes more understood.
FeedThruCap.png
Amp Builders use a similar design
for filtering the power supply feeds...​

The effort in finding a Gate Capacitance that is tunable for the RF spectrum you'll be in, is far more important than the wattage. Got Gain? We're not talking Fabric Softener here, but it can make a stink of you don't pay attention to the details.

So if the ERF 2030+ takes a required 1,100pF or 1.1nF or 0.001uF - yes those are the converted values, then you can translate to what is needed in DRIVE to make this work.

But for Gain, the 13N10's or IRF520's make better mates for paring the Driver and Final in drive levels and symmetrical gain values that are workable. (400pF to as much as 600pF) are useable, tunable and working values used in most CB's and even into the VHF range for tuning and output networks.

If you remember the Xtal thread about pF - the higher values require more effort to "bend" their tuning - same is said for the Gate regions of the various FETs' we use in CB's - try to find ones that work within the confines of the board design and the values used to couple the originals together - higher values you get into more troubles with trying to make them work in the region or band of RF spectrum we want.

So think of the Gate as one cap, the Input Cap as the other and then you begin to see the issue of Ohms law when it comes to working with capacitor values versus Resistor or even inductor.

In series - Resistors add up...

Capacitors don't - treat them more like Parallel Resistor theory and practice - the LOWEST value is usually the parallel value you should work with or calculate. So if you have an input cap of 470pF - it simply can't transfer enough Coulombs of energy (Joules) to force the larger Gate plate and its' capacitance to transfer charge - very much.

Remember too, you are also dealing with a "static" DC value that will begin to change into a Dynamic impedance once the switching events occur - refer to the Rudder reference earlier - because if you can't keep the threshold steady, you lose steering ability to control the rudder and switching events.

So hope this helps - sorry to see the ERF's are taking on more of a challenge to change of charge rates that make some radios seem to work, while others won't put out, or simply don't work - again this goes back to what I've discussed with the boss to help us in making sense of the changes going on in Semiconductor industry in general.

Last edited:
Thank you...
DriveClassE.jpg

And I got my butt chewed over this...?

And no one seems to notice the IRF510 can work well as a simple 4-watt AM Final replacement too...

Reactions: NZ8N
Thank you...

And I got my butt chewed over this...?

And no one seems to notice the IRF510 can work well as a simple 4-watt AM Final replacement too...

Lately I been reading a lot about the state of your butt. If people keep chewing your butt, I’m gonna start a GoFundMe for you so we can get you a pillow to sit on.

I will now experiment with the 510 since you said that.

Reactions: Tallman
510 will work, but the 520 is my first choice between the two. Many Ham articles can be found using IRF510's for RF output, with a little adjusting of the circuit values the 520 will work and provide more headroom.

(anecdotal so take this with a grain of salt.)

OEM FQP13n10 seem to spank the ERF2030+ in CB BJT to MosFet conversions.

The ERF2030+ works, but I payed for a brandname.. I am not impressed with the "+" part, for reasons explained in this thread..

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman
Yes, the homebrew segment of the ham community seems to use the IRF510 quite a lot in their SSB & CW QRP type transceivers. They seem to provide a pretty clean output as long as the power is kept fairly low.

Brad

I was referring to the 510 as the 2166 of the 1969 paring - they needed a Driver - but if properly used, even the 2166 was used as Final Output in radios like the 538W and Uniden 510/520 back when - they used a different driver though (2086). But can be made to swing good - worked better in some setups of the T/S 2-pill amps from back then.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.