• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar RFX95HD

Try a 68 ohm or around that, usually they end up between 33 and 150 ohms. I do not like that swing mod myself, not much average swing and does not look good on the scope. The better mod uses a tip120 transistor a 220 ohm electrolytic a 100 okm resistor and a 5k to 10k potentiometer to set the dead key.
10-4 it's not in concrete yet so I can still modify and will consider your suggestion as well. Hopefully tomorrow I can have a little time with it.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
Good deal Eldorado!

Ive honestly never measured the current across this resistor so i can't say for sure what is needed there.
everyone just uses 2 or 3 watt resistors there instead of measuring lol.

if you are concerned or the 1/4 watt resistor is getting hot when in TX, then you can parallel some other 1/4 watt resistors together in order to make a 1/2, 3/4, or 1 watt resistor etc.
four 150 ohm 1/4 watt resistors will give you around 37 ohms and will handle 1 watt.

there is no difference on the scope or in performance between the "add a fixed resistor to the bottom of the board" and the "use a tIP120 and a pot to provide a variable deadkey" versions of the mod.

I like to use the TIP120 method and mount a trimmer resistor inside the radio.

that way it can be set for wherever you want it but you don't have to worry about accidentally moving it by turning the wrong knob on the front of the radio.
LC

Good deal Eldorado!

Ive honestly never measured the current across this resistor so i can't say for sure what is needed there.
everyone just uses 2 or 3 watt resistors there instead of measuring lol.

if you are concerned or the 1/4 watt resistor is getting hot when in TX, then you can parallel some other 1/4 watt resistors together in order to make a 1/2, 3/4, or 1 watt resistor etc.
four 150 ohm 1/4 watt resistors will give you around 37 ohms and will handle 1 watt.

there is no difference on the scope or in performance between the "add a fixed resistor to the bottom of the board" and the "use a tIP120 and a pot to provide a variable deadkey" versions of the mod.

I like to use the TIP120 method and mount a trimmer resistor inside the radio.

that way it can be set for wherever you want it but you don't have to worry about accidentally moving it by turning the wrong knob on the front of the radio.
LC
Well looking through the pile of pulls I found some half watt resistors which is what Bell's had used so it should be sufficient. The pulled stash saves the day.
Screenshot_20240317_191418_Gallery.jpg
After adjusting the modulation to where audio sounds good with no crunch I ended up with about 3.5 watt dk, 18 pep amp off. Amp on about 14 watt dk and will spike 100 before the limiter tames it to about 85-95 with voice peaks. Audio through headphones with monitor radio sounds pretty dog gone nice. I like it!
Screenshot_20240317_192241_Gallery.jpg
Thank you gentlemen one more time, I'll call it a success.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
sure thing!

If you're looking to play a bit further with this, you can try replacing C71 with a 47uF cap, and see how that affects the AMC clamping.

And if you want to go even further, you can try strapping a 1K resistor across C71.
(you can play with this value a bit)

these mods change the timing of the AMC circuit and will allow you to tailor things a bit for your own radio and voice.
LC

sure thing!

If you're looking to play a bit further with this, you can try replacing C71 with a 47uF cap, and see how that affects the AMC clamping.

And if you want to go even further, you can try strapping a 1K resistor across C71.
(you can play with this value a bit)

these mods change the timing of the AMC circuit and will allow you to tailor things a bit for your own radio and voice.
LC
Thank you sir, I'll take those into consideration. I'm always up for more learning.

I won't have time until next weekend or so but will report back when the time comes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.