• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar rfx95hd

Um, do you mean the "transmit-only 8 Volts" that keys the RFX, and shuts it down for receive?

Like, for the RFX blue wire?

Had one of these show up on a Cobra 29 with a complaint of no receive.

The blue wire (keys the RFX) was soldered to a source of all-the-time 12 Volts.

Keyed it all the time. Kills the receiver.

I'll post a pic tomorrow. Pretty sure that radio is still in the shop.

Yes sir 8 Volt transmit for the blue wire. I'm going to try one of on a physically damaged but still working 959 I've got here. I've never messed with the rfx units so I'm going to see what the hype is all about.

Not sure which one it was but attached the echo sheild to mic ground and rfx sheilds to transformer added a 4700uf filter cap to the input and all is happy now. Get a slight buzz on transmit with unit on but can deal with that I suppose.

I’m old as dirt and it sure I’m following you on the RFX shields. Can you list a photo of that? That might be where your buzz is.

Hadn't tidied up my wires yet and don't have the cap on but if you look you can see my shield ground on the transformer

Attachments

• 1549164375821_3207317517_b75d9b91_v1.jpg
    1549164375821_3207317517_b75d9b91_v1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
1549164539756_7142278821_b75d9b91_v1.jpg

But after having one nw that doesnt work have to say I am a fan of a working nightwatch no matter how long it lasts haha

Like I say the buzz is audible but not overly loud audio comes through loud and clear without the buzzing. With It off no buzz with it on slight buzz when keyed

I’d connect those coax shields to the ground side of the coax connector on the back of the radio. I’d undo that wire from that transformer if it were me.

That may very well be your hum issue, where and how the grounds are connected.

If it’s not a huge concern to you, then just leave it alone but I believe you can get it out.

Will do. If I'm able to get it out I'd like to worth trying one more spot anyway. I really appreciate the help man with both amps I'll let you know how it works out. Now if my receive parts will get here the 3 schottky diodes and tr7 transistor. Besides the c12 to pin 14 is there anything else to help recieve I know the Wilson 1000 helped alot

Meh, those diodes seem to be a hit or miss mod. Some swear by them and others swear at them. I’m not biased either way personally, try them and see what you think yourself.

I think the best modification anyone can do is to have their radio properly aligned. I think that trumps any tuning or mods there is, and if not, it’s a damn good foundation to build off of.

Reactions: NZ8N
This is true. I need to send it off somewhere have It aligned especially now got everything fixed up in it. I just don't have that equipment.

These are crappy screenshots but are from a Vid Bells CB offers to help you understand how to install an RFX unit.
RFXBellsCBinststallSM.jpg
The above

Yellow coax ID is the Inputs to the amp...
Red coax ID is the Output to the Antenna
Note the lead dress and routing
Yes, makes this radio a Negative Ground Only radio - Chassis(Case) and Foil ground bond together thru the RFX unit; - just be ready for it.

Ok, you are having problems with a Buzz...

More than likely it is from a mounting issue of the "Exciter" that generates a voltage off the back lighting using that EL panel - it is in a shielded box but it has an oscillator to make a higher running voltage so the buzz you hear, if's from this onboard clock feeding it - it's touchy so if you've moved it, relocate it (Exciter box and any wiring) back to the original spots if you can.

Now, back to the screenshots above, what Bells does, or did, is place the antenna shield to CHASSIS ground - and Foil Ground for the COAX Shield of the RF Input TO the RFX unit.

So before anyone screams that this violates a law of physics, only if you forget to read the manual...that is on you.

Wanted to let you know that Shield of the Antenna to Chassis - Shield of RF from the Final to the FOIL ground - the same ground the Final uses.

Watch the Vid here...

For Educational Purposes only

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users