• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PALOMAR TX 75

ray

BANNED
Jan 23, 2011
OK GUYS.Picked a PALOMAR TX 75 BROAD BAND 3-30 MHz SOLID STATE BI LINEAR AMP. Need a littli on it:redface: Hooked it up to my UNIDEN WASHINGTON seems to work fine(y) Just would like to know what the dead key should be set at:confused: And any INFO. you can help me with:whistle: 73s guys. PS the reason i ask about my radio stuff is because i get good INFo_On this site. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT(y) 73s.

AMP

Sorry TONY for not getting back right away;). THANKS FOR THE INFO(y) 73. coathanger N.E. P.A.:whistle:

I have one but everybody tells me is sounds crap on sideband. what can I do to make it sound better?

AMP

HERE is what i use to clean my radios and amps.CRC QD ELECTRONIC CLEANER Quick Drying Formula:D.Get it at a AUTO PARTS STORE.Dont go to radio shack:thumbdown:You get 11oz.can for$5.00 at a parts store(y)At rat shack you get 11oz for about $10.00:thumbdown:Hope that will help ya:) 73s.

I have one but everybody tells me is sounds crap on sideband. what can I do to make it sound better?
These are very low drive, and if you hit them hard at all they get crunchy real fast, they were built back when some CB`s did good to get 8 to 10 watts out on SSB.
Try reducing drive and see if it helps.

Jeff

Jef is right if you get that scratchy class C sound on SSB reduc the drive. I ran 12 into mine on SSB and 2 watts in on AM/FM it worked great I still have it actually. One thing to remember is not all Power meters read correctly and are + or - a few watts. These older amplifiers are extremely touchy in this department. What you can try is baack the power down to 8 watts on the power meter and hit your amplifier with this. I actually hit my texas star 500 with this on SSB regularily.

amp

Jef is right if you get that scratchy class C sound on SSB reduc the drive. I ran 12 into mine on SSB and 2 watts in on AM/FM it worked great I still have it actually. One thing to remember is not all Power meters read correctly and are + or - a few watts. These older amplifiers are extremely touchy in this department. What you can try is baack the power down to 8 watts on the power meter and hit your amplifier with this. I actually hit my texas star 500 with this on SSB regularily.
Sorry for the first post i didnt readit right. TONY is RIGHT (y) He told me what to do and the amp works fine:D The cleaning works to:whistle:73s. coathanger N.E. P.A.:laugh:

That would hold true for any small amplifier, if it sounds pinched up or scratchy it's being over driven. What does that old Palomar 75 have in it maybe an MRF455 final? If so like they said, maybe 1.5 ish watts input dead key for AM and no more then 10-12 watts PEP. A Uniden Washington should be able to be tuned to match up well with that amp.

I know its an old post but i just picked one up and put in 2 nos mrf 455's i key it with 1 watt and the amp keys 30 and swings to 125 peak i am pretty impressed with this little amp.

Reactions: Cabover Bob
There is one of these available now, not sure how to identify the transistors though.......

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220222-155110_Mercari.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222-155110_Mercari.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 175
When I use these one of my favorite combo's is and Radio Shack TRC-465 or like. I used to install SP1-a. I would turn AM down to about 1.5-2 watts dead key 100% modulation(going off memory) and SSB to about 8 watts. People always thought it was a base when used with 102" to 108" whip. When using a 102" whip I used a 6 inch aluminum bar to get them away from vehicle a bit and make them electrically 108" with out those terrible springs! If it was an AM mainly rig then Asmytric mod well documented for these radio's was great too. Not the HUGE AM audio of other designs but very compact and clean. A few cap changes to tune the audio to the voice and you could easily out talk most "peaked and tweaked" radio's with over driven amps.

When I used a RCI 2950 I I used a Palomar 150 like design I built myself with two MRF 455 or 454's again with the same antenna system people that I was a base. I was always buying amps or selling them since anything I used people always wanted to buy off me for more money that the amps were worth.

People did not understand that you have to start with a clean radio, a clean amp and then a fantastic antenna system well matched.

I know this is old but I got a NOS Palomar 75TX and 150 Bi Level from RF Parts last year for $212 each. I think they were listed as NOS 1979. One had MRF455's I think and the other has MRF455's. I can not buy the transistors alone from RF Parts for that price as a MP.

I am going to replace the electrolytic and test them out. Everything thinks they need a big amp to get out and get heard. What you really need is a clean well tuned radio and a decent amp not over driven and a well tuned antenna system!

Most of the best base stations I talked to on AM and SSB were old guys with old radio's and fantastic antenna systems with a lot of low power 100 to 200 watt rms amps. Some were tubes and some were transistor amps all of them ran them gently. Most had stacked Quads, Jo-Guns, Maco, or home built Yagi's.2 guys had Laser 500's. They guys on vertical ground planes normally had 250-500 watt amps.

I was the only mobile in the SSB group and my heavily modified Second Generation Mylasian made RCI2950. No CB'er trash mod's

Nice clean audio with a slightly modified amp on the back of the unit.

Modified by Fred Ballantine of Hinesville Georgia Electronic Repair, Florida and Pennsylvania. Sadly he stole my radio after I provided parts from RF parts around 1997 1998 paid in advance for all repairs and shipping. I considered him a friend and mentor. As I understand it he stole from a lot of people and skipped out of town!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated