• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palstar AT4K Fail

BenMara

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jan 16, 2013
SC swamplands
So ive had the Palstar AT4K since 2011. Ran perfect till 2015. The SWR meter turned inaccurate. Was on the horn with Paul and Eva numerous times to troubleshoot. They just ended blocking my emails. I dont want to spend $120+ to just remove and replace parts. I have access to another Meter to check it against. And the meter on my HF radio. Read somewhere i needed a dummy load to calibrate the meter. I can not find any reference material to calibrate the meter if it is out of calibration...

Tkx
Ben

Service by Palstar? How can you trust a company if they service sucks... Great product, support fails..

Its like changing oil, i rather do it my self if i have the equipment

The adjustments are in the manual. Road squawker posted a link and gave you a page number. Twist them until the meter readings make you happy. You do need a dummy load to calibrate it properly.

You can get two meters to agree at one point but they will never give you the same reading across the scale. Doesn't matter if its a bird, palstar, mfj or dosy.

This is what happens when manufacturers decide to put watt meters in everything they make.

Would be helpful to have a diagram of the directional-coupler board.

A close look for one or more overheated fixed resistors may reveal a problem.

Biggest single failure we see with the directional-coupler portion of wattmeters is failed diodes.

I suspect an actual failure, and not something that simply turning a calibration adjustment can fix.

Paul from Palstar had me check fwd and rev voltages of the diodes.... i responded to his email with values and ops check... he never responded

Yes i do see the potetometers Rev Lo, Rev Hi, Fwd Lo, Fwd Hi, Fwd Peak Lo, Fwd Peak Hi. Do i just do turn till its the same as reference meters?

Preferably they should be set with a dummy load, not an antenna.

Use a dead carrier. The peak setting gets adjusted to make it agree with the average reading. Peak power of a carrier is the same as the average power.

Calibrating the reverse side is usually done by reversing the connections. It must be in the "bypass" mode to do this.

Reactions: BenMara
Never found out what happened, but did have local Motorola radio tech calibrate the meters.

Tech was impressed with the quality of the Palstar Tuner, hes only had MFJ. He wasnt impressed with Palstar from his personal past support of their product . But knew the frustration i was under.

Fortunately im slowly getting back on HF...

Sad because their stuff is generally built like a brick shithouse, but have seen other complaints about the quality of their metering or metering hardware, etc.

Reactions: BenMara

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated