1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Palstar AT4K Fail

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by BenMara, Sep 3, 2018.

1. BenMara

BenMara W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

So ive had the Palstar AT4K since 2011. Ran perfect till 2015. The SWR meter turned inaccurate. Was on the horn with Paul and Eva numerous times to troubleshoot. They just ended blocking my emails. I dont want to spend $120+ to just remove and replace parts. I have access to another Meter to check it against. And the meter on my HF radio. Read somewhere i needed a dummy load to calibrate the meter. I can not find any reference material to calibrate the meter if it is out of calibration...

Tkx
    Ben

2. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

3. BenMara

Service by Palstar? How can you trust a company if they service sucks... Great product, support fails..

Its like changing oil, i rather do it my self if i have the equipment

4. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

I'm out

5. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

The adjustments are in the manual. Road squawker posted a link and gave you a page number. Twist them until the meter readings make you happy. You do need a dummy load to calibrate it properly.

You can get two meters to agree at one point but they will never give you the same reading across the scale. Doesn't matter if its a bird, palstar, mfj or dosy.

This is what happens when manufacturers decide to put watt meters in everything they make.

Road Squawker likes this.
  6. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Would be helpful to have a diagram of the directional-coupler board.

A close look for one or more overheated fixed resistors may reveal a problem.

Biggest single failure we see with the directional-coupler portion of wattmeters is failed diodes.

I suspect an actual failure, and not something that simply turning a calibration adjustment can fix.

packrat and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  7. Ranch55

Ranch55 Well-Known Member

8. BenMara

Paul from Palstar had me check fwd and rev voltages of the diodes.... i responded to his email with values and ops check... he never responded

9. BenMara

Yes i do see the potetometers Rev Lo, Rev Hi, Fwd Lo, Fwd Hi, Fwd Peak Lo, Fwd Peak Hi. Do i just do turn till its the same as reference meters?

10. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Preferably they should be set with a dummy load, not an antenna.

Use a dead carrier. The peak setting gets adjusted to make it agree with the average reading. Peak power of a carrier is the same as the average power.

Calibrating the reverse side is usually done by reversing the connections. It must be in the "bypass" mode to do this.

BenMara likes this.
  11. BenMara

Both were right from the beginning.. I just needed someone more experienced to show me how to do it..

12. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Thanks for sharing the link, watching this thread with some interest...

What happened? Why did it lose calibration?

13. BenMara

Never found out what happened, but did have local Motorola radio tech calibrate the meters.

Tech was impressed with the quality of the Palstar Tuner, hes only had MFJ. He wasnt impressed with Palstar from his personal past support of their product . But knew the frustration i was under.

Fortunately im slowly getting back on HF...

14. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Oh, ok - thanks for getting back with me - glad to know it wasn't a serious repair to get it working again.

Wish you the best!

BenMara likes this.