• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

passed the general exam

Congratulations!
And start by looking at catalogs, or internet sites of equipment dealers, all of them. Manufacturer's sites are nice, but remember that they are trying to sell their equipment so their's is always 'best'.
Also don't forget used equipment! Bunches of it around, but you are wise to be skeptical about some claims, you know?
After that it's more a matter of what you can afford, sort of.
Good luck, and have fun!
- 'Doc

Congrats on passing the General test!

My advice for shopping for an all mode rig is to establish a budget first. Let us know what you're working with and we can help short circuit some of the research. Also start thinking about your HF antenna options. You can start designing your antenna system while you're researching what rig you want.

Don't put off getting on HF...it's a whole lot of fun!

New HF rigs are not cheap these days,it is very common to spend $1000+ for a basic radio...for some of us just dont have that kind of money to drop on a radio...so you might want to look at a used radio....if you take your time and do your homework there are nice used radios out there to be found for as little as $300 if you run into a really good deal,but expect to spend $400 to $600 and maybe a bit more ....

Look at all your options out as to what features you would like to have and go from there....a built in tuner,or outboard tuner,plug and play or use a power supply..straight HF,hf + 6 meter,or HF + 6 meter,2 meter and 440 ....memory channels .... ease of operation... just to name a few options to look at

I done a little digging in my area and I found a very nice HF + 6 meter rig for a good price...and I got to test it out before I bought it.....that was a huge factor as to me buying the radio I did,

I spent a bit more than I wanted to,but knowing the person that I bought it from as well as having other hams telling me that the equipment the guy sells was always in top shape made it a bit easier to drop what I did on the radio

So dont over look the local area

Hope to catch you on the HF bands soon !!

congrats on the upgrade my friend. ditto on finding a club, there will be lots of folks thee with gear that they are willing to part with at a decent price. My club has a bulletin board that equipment is posted on. Good luck and have fun.
mike

CONGRATS!!! Welcome tro the world of HF this is where the amateur hobby really takes off like a rocket for you Enjoy!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.