• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PC122XL Receive Issue

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I dug this Uniden out the other day. It seems like the receive audio is slightly muffled. I don't think the radio was ever messed with. I got it years ago from a local and he was the original purchaser.

I never knew of him letting anyone, including himself, to pop the covers. The guy died a few years back.

Anyways, it sounds muffled on both internal and external speakers, as well as my headphones.

It's almost like it has to much bass.

Any ideas?

It seems to transmit okay. I can find nothing clipped or modded inside.

I know, it's just hard to describe. I think I'll start things off with a complete alignment. I had my boy talk on it while I was a few miles out. It sounds great on transmit, especially SSB.

I'm running a Superstar pistol grip power mic. I like how it sounds. Just need to figure out why its muffly sounding on receive.

Alignment..maybe. My mind goes filters changing shape but most likely capacitors changing values. Coupling and also bypass caps.

Darn radio looks great. Good enough that I'm willing to put a lil bit of cash into it. I'll eventually send it out to get a diagnosis and cure.

I dug this Uniden out the other day. It seems like the receive audio is slightly muffled. I don't think the radio was ever messed with. I got it years ago from a local and he was the original purchaser.

I never knew of him letting anyone, including himself, to pop the covers. The guy died a few years back.

Anyways, it sounds muffled on both internal and external speakers, as well as my headphones.

It's almost like it has to much bass.

Any ideas?

It seems to transmit okay. I can find nothing clipped or modded inside.

here is a link to this radio that has a lot of info on it. Handy Andy is great at going through a radio and making it better than from the factory.

Uniden PC-122 Miscellaneous Data Service Section How-To Manual

Reactions: 1 person
@MudDuck442

Probably right about something changing values. I've noticed that since it's been turned on for a few hours, it's starting to sound normal.

I can't recall precisely, but I'd say its been boxed away upstairs for 7-8 years.

I have 2 of those they are outstanding little radios!! They have the same board or are idetical radios to the Realstic TRC-465. You have to remember these are old radios and receive issues are the may complaints and Ive seen alot of posts on the transmitting but having no receive sounds but a light his through the speaker.

Although they radios indeed are receive and the RF meter shows it I have one here I got with the issue and spent time replacing caps,Audi chp ETC and still no sound. I did research and only found the fixes I described which had ne effect opr prevail. Im wandering if yours isnt starting in its early stages of what happen to the one I have thats broke or has no receive//

Do a google search and start with the fixes I described as these were the main fies for the particular issues. You may be in luck with one of the posted fixes. The radio I have I put the Expo Expander 100 N Kit in and that radio is loud and only gets used to a good quality noise canceling mic it sounds super and the 11 meter guys laugh and cant believe it when I tell them that its a little PC122.

Im not really a CB kinda guy but that little radio is cool. The only issue with mine is the LEDs are going bad in the channel display and the clarifier is "TOUCHY" although it isnt a drifet and thats great because Ide buy a boat if I want to drift and sail and contstantly steer to say on course LOL!! Get it straightened out you will like that radio for what the little thing is.

I will look through my notes here and see if I cant find all my repair info and hint or tricks for the recieve issues. I also noticed there is 2 different styles to the Uniden PC122 model. Like I say the clarifier slight adjustments take getting use to but Im sure theres a fix for that aswell but like I said thats fine because it atleast doesnt drift.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.