• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

pc122xl

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
Who expands the uniden pc122xl to the free band frequencies?
Price? and do you put the switches on back or a small box separate with the switches......

tnx
doctor :shock:

you need an expo kit. the pll is not able to be expanded. youy can change it but even than you land 1/2 channel away. you have to ruin the clairafier in order to get on frequency. its not worth it. i believe the expo kit is the same way. if you want a radio to mod buy a older grant or 148. they have a slighlty better reciever (these are damn close though). channels are much easier, and you can do A channels as well.

i origionally had a uniden pro810e that was the same thing you had (only a base) that i expanded. i endend up grabbing the pll from an older cobra 29. i always regretted it. ssb was useless because you need to open the clairifier 9k on order for it to work.

i just picked up a realistic trc 453 that is the same as well. im not going to change the pll in the one though.

dad8_1.JPG

theres 2 kits Doc for that radio , The Expo N and the Galaxy N , they don't make them anymore but they still can be found on Ebay and maybe some shops might have some back stock ? Now , The Expo N Kit (Black box) is not a cake walk by no means ,It's a two crystal unit, they will give you 40 upper and 40 lower BUT !! You really need to know what your doing because even the distructions that come with them will surely leave you out in left field and theres a lot more peek'in and tweek'in when it comes to these kits because they can be very unstable, There are many of those on Ebay (with the crystals) but I would personally stay away from them, there's just more to them then meets the eye. The other kit is the Galaxy N Kit (Blue box), this is the best kit for these radios ! BUT ! they only give you the upper channels above 40 (but for SSB that's all you need) they run on to IC's rather then crystals, these kits are very stable ! I've talked all over the world on a PC-122 with that kit....no problems what so ever ! DXMan just got one of those radios from me with that kit and he was very pleased. The only other way is to change the PLL and then you need a good slider to get on freq , which can slightly be a pain in the ass. but the kit's with the IC's and the upper freq's are surely the best for those radios and I can garrentee you , you will not have any problems with those what so ever if installed correctly.
im001977ff8.jpg

im001978qt6.jpg

Interesting, will look around for the galaxy kit, but by no means an electronic tech here to do much, will have to look for someone to do this..

tnx again
doctor

pretty much what I said in the first place and that is the kit I was talking about , that ad is 11 years old , and like I said , good luck finding the Kit , Even the Expo kits they stopped making a few years back are still easier to find , but there's a lot more to them as far as there instructions even talk about. The same goes for the ones you will find on Ebay , there's kits that are also made to work on Cobra 25s and chassies like that , but good luck on those as well a lot of those kits were made in the earlier 80s and they will not work very well on the radios there after. In the late 80s earlier 90s , PC-122s were very popular radios along with the Realistic and Cobra brands of that chassie , I worked part-time for a tech in 91 and those IC chipped boards were used because of there stability in those radios.Back then a lot of people ran those radios because they were priced well and worked well on both AM/SSB , these little radios were known for there loud ass audio ! especially on AM ! I used a 575-M6 on mine back then which would perform well on both AM/SSB .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.