• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base PDL II

The boom is hard to locate.
The boom in 2" OD it must be homebrew too.
I can find 1-15/16 pipe but not 2".
I'm thinking mufflershop

Remember this is libtard land up here.
People dont build or fix shit themselves anymore so theres no market for it.
The junkies truck metal to the scrapyard so its cleaned out everywhere.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Hello Unit_399: Good luck on the 4 element quad, what type of matching system are you gonna use? One of the ways to see if the a beam antenna is working well is to see how much side and back rejection you have, should have deep nulls of -30 to -40 dB off the sides.
Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Jay - thanks for getting back to me. I went into town yesterday, and bought a roll of #14 enameled motor winding wire. Both directors and the reflector will use it. The driven element will use #10 enameled. The characteristic impedance of a 4-element quad is 50 ohms, so I wound a 1:1 balun to connect between the antenna and the coax. My previous antenna was a 2-element quad, and worked great until a storm took it down. That won't happen with this setup. Thanks again.

* 357 sorry ... not trying to hijack the thread. *

Hello U399: Ok good deal please let us know how it works out for you, VSWR, Bandwidth, rejection, and photos. Good going!

Jay in the Mojave

Reactions: murdog
I phoned the motor places around here.
The one guy said he "used" to rewind motors and might have some #25, nothing like #14.
Like I said, its a joke up here, its easy to just order it from Bulgaria.

IMG_2934.JPG IMG_2930.JPG IMG_2932.JPG IMG_2931.JPG
IMG_2929.JPG IMG_2933.JPG
IMG_2936.JPG IMG_2935.JPG

Making progress.
I heated the pipe with a lighter and pushed to tubing flush at the bottom.
I may heat again and squish it a bit more for sealing purposes.
Need to get longer sparkplug boots

and I found a new boom. (Thanks VE7JBG)

APPLICATIONS
Laboratories lines Food and beverage dispensing
Hospitals Potable water applications
OEM machines Feed lines
Chemical processing Drain lines to pneumatic lines
Wire jacketing
Signal lines used in instrumentation

http://www.gotomahawk.com/docs/defa...03-series---polyethylene-tubing.pdf?sfvrsn=10

Reactions: murdog
Hello 357,
When you get that ant. working, swing it south down here to Mt. Vernon on the horizontal. Then maybe we can connect instead of having to do it on back-scatter.

Also give Big Jay (373) a big hello from me.

Larry - 178
Hello Larry fist day on this site, great to talk to you today 357 is gonna be a big stripper up here. Always good to hear you 73”s 88”s

Reactions: 357
Hello 357: I had one of those Avanti Antennas Switches back ion the 70's, it was electrically intermittent and I didn't want it to burn up my radio or linear, with that cheap sh1t switch.. So I got a better ant switch that was pretty expensive back then.

The great thing about being able to switch back and forth from Vert to Horz is many skip stations change there received polarity as the signal bounced off the atmosphere. Kind of neat to track that if you want to help shoot skip. You can also switch the polarity to sometimes drop off or significantly attenuate interfering noises or stations.

Jay in the Mojave

Hello 357: I had one of those Avanti Antennas Switches back ion the 70's, it was electrically intermittent and I didn't want it to burn up my radio or linear, with that cheap sh1t switch.. So I got a better ant switch that was pretty expensive back then.

The great thing about being able to switch back and forth from Vert to Horz is many skip stations change there received polarity as the signal bounced off the atmosphere. Kind of neat to track that if you want to help shoot skip. You can also switch the polarity to sometimes drop off or significantly attenuate interfering noises or stations.

Jay in the Mojave

I used to have a Wilson Shooting Star and the ability to switch polarity was a great asset. Sometimes the best signal strength was on V and sometimes on H and sometimes you had to switch often within five minutes while talking to the same station. There were times when local AMers would deliberately try to jam us on SSB and we would just flip to horizontal and keep right on talking while the jammers signals dropped several S-units. people don't know what they are missing until they can switch polarity with the flip of a switch.

Ya I should have just got a good cavity switch but I got bit with the nostalgia bug.
I will be ok for my 756, if it is intermittent I'll get a better one, which I probably will anyway.
Its nice to have it though as a keepsake.

Hello CK and 357: Yeah the ability to go Vert or Horz is a big plus for tactual communications that seemed to always be there. We had a great time at it. Project Straw Dispenser, Channel X, Back Door, and many others one used his Vert/Horz Beam Antenna, fine tuning AM stations with a narrow IF Filter when jamming is happening, the variable attenuator, LPI (low possibility of interception) type antennas, parked behind some ones house.

The center photo of the Avanti Antenna Switch shows the outside wires very close to each other possibly not allowing the isolation you may want when switching back and forth from Vert/Horz. Suggest swapping the outside wires and making the wires shorter to reduce any coupling that is there. You don't want the Antenna Switch to reduce any Vert/Horz Polarity isolation the antenna can do due to a cheap stereo speaker switch. You could also add copper circuit board material to make you own cavity to add isolation. Or even use coax for the outside wires.

I have a old old Gonset G12 tube radio that is the garage radio as I keep an ear on the locals bad mouthing me when I am in the advanced state of the art research and development center, the garage. Talk about nostalgia, even with a old WWII Eisenhower type carbon mic.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Reactions: Dmans

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.