1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Base PDL II

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by 357, Mar 26, 2018.

1. 357

357 Walkin' the dog

no biggie I just got to time it right and someone offered the cash so why keep it and maybe not use it?
    the tower and the hd73 are staying though

2. Klondike Mike

Klondike Mike Sr. Member

I have a PDLII as well and someday I'll need the wire too. I sent them this email to find out why their shipping is out of order;

"This item is showing as $25 shipping to Canada. You should be able to ship it USPS First Class for approx. $10. Is this an error in your listing?"

[​IMG]

#62 Klondike Mike, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  3. Klondike Mike

Klondike Mike Sr. Member

I guess they are not concerned with getting any business from Canada. The excuse of lost mail between Canada and the US is a farce. I have had extremely good delivery rates of non tracked packages between our countries (Australia not so). Here is the response I got.

"Right now we only ship via USPS Priority Internationally. We have shipped Internationally in the past via USPS First Class however packages end up getting lost. This includes Canada. If you want multiple items we can ship up to 4 lbs for the same $25 shipping charge."

4. Joe Mac

Joe Mac New Member

Question. The wire used for the quad elements from the factory is solid copper wire right? And if so what gauge. I found one and need to restore it but in the manual I cannot find any information about the wire, is it solid or stranded and what gauge.

5. DainBramage

DainBramage Well-Known Member

use just about any Ga wire you have,... 14 Ga solid will work fine.

Just be sure to stretch it prior to measuring it.

tecnicoloco likes this.
  6. Joe Mac

Joe Mac New Member

OK thanks very much, much appreciated. Are they other similar two element quads on the market right not to purchase new??

Tim

7. Dr_DX

Dr_DX Well-Known Member

Marconi likes this.
  8. 1KT001

1KT001 New Member

Questi QUAD moderni hanno la possibilità di variare dalla baracca la polarità ? Hanno 2 cavi coassiali di discesa?

S&W357 likes this.
  9. S&W357

S&W357 $upporting Member N.C. WDX-556

Good questions! Someone will come along soon with the answers! o_O

Crawdad likes this.
  10. Marconi

Marconi Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.

Do these modern QUADs have the possibility to vary the polarity from the cabin? Do they have 2 coaxial drop cables?

Welcome to the forum.

The PDL 2 is not a modern antenna, but it does have two coaxes and is dual-polarity. Friends use to tell me they worked very well for them.

#70 Marconi, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    S&W357 likes this.
  11. PeterD

PeterD Active Member

I see the last post on this thread was posted in September last year, even though the post was started in May 2018 . I read with interest all the posts - as I am very interested in the PDL2.
    I was hoping to maybe purchase a used PDL2, But as I live in Europe the chances of finding one this side of the pond, are very slim.
    I see that Dr_DX has posted a link to two alternatives antennas - and I would be interested to learn how either of these compare to the PDL2 ?.
    Here's hoping somebody is still following this tread ? ..
    Best Regards to all.
    Peter

12. Dr_DX

Dr_DX Well-Known Member

Lightning Antennas - Dual Switchable Polarization – All our Quad’s features exclusive “SFS” (Signal Feed System, patented) matching system gives maximum directional performance and dual polarity to allow switching between Horizontal and Vertical polarization from the operating position with up to 30 db separation. 2 drop coaxes.

Cubex - Is a single polarity and the only way to change the polarity from the cabin is to rotate the boom 90 degrees using an azimuth rotor. The cubex quad uses a 75ohm matching stub and directly connects to the driven element. 1 drop coax.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  13. Dr_DX

Dr_DX Well-Known Member

All 3 use different matching systems. The PDL-II uses an "Orbital" match, the L2 uses a patented SFS system, and the Cubex uses a direct feed w/ 75ohm matching stub. All 3 are in a diamond configuration. The PDL-II and L2 are dual Polarity and the Cubex is single polarity. The PDL-II is good for about 1.5KW, the L2 is good for 8KW, and the Cubex is good for whatever your 75 and 50 ohm coax is rated at. The L2 looks best on paper, but I wouldn't put much faith in published specs.