• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

peak & tune

crapshoot

Aug 1, 2009
i'm new but i have done a bit of research. according to everything i've read, a peak & tune is advisable but risky.

i was wondering if someone can refer me to a reputable shop that can set me up with a decent selection and service near the chicago area/suburbs.

i have a basic idea of what i want but i really need a good shop.

thanks

I do a fairly good mail order/internet business in the shop. Not near Chicago. But we do have a warranty on all work and parts. All we ask of the customer is all packages be shipped insured and with a tracking number. Just throwing it out there.

Can't make any recommendations as to where to take your radio, I just don't know of any places near you.
I can say this. A 'peak & tune' is just like taking your car to be tuned up. All it means is that things are examined for obviously bad parts, re-set to factory recommended specifications and normally optimized without doing any modifications. That's something that any average/good technician should be able to do, just like a mechanic tuning a car. It's a fairly good idea to take it to someone who is reputable. It's also a good idea not to expect miracles, that's not what a 'peak & tune' is to start with. I would expect it to be as good as it ever was.
All things considered, I doubt if getting your car tuned every week is really necessary. Neither is getting a radio 'peaked & tuned'. Probably wouldn't hurt, just not all that necessary at all. And just like getting your car tuned, it requires some minimum equipment to do it right. Just can't tune either one by 'ear'. You might get 'close', but very seldom ever win a cigar.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

even new radios can benefit from an alignment . if the the person doing the work doesnt have a O-scope he cant do a alignment and is not a real tech and you dont want him doing the "alignment" . adding swing kits and mosfets and topgun this and that and mosfets/bigger finals arnt good ideas either IMO . a simple tune up letting the radio coast along smoothly is the clean way to go . if you want more power add a amp .

Crapshoot, a peak and tune is only risky when you let a hack shop do it that cuts the limiter and then pronounces your radio "tuned". Here is a list of places I think are good people that try to do honest hard work. I'm sure someone will have a complaint about one or several but if you plan on shipping your radio out they do good work. In no special order.

1) CBR Custom cb radio
2) Bob's cb in PA
3) Sparkys cb
4) Richard at 8541 electronics
5) Rolling Radio's in VA
6) DTB Radio (and forum member)

Just do a Google search and I am sure you can find their web sites or links to contact info.

Jerry's Electronics in Houston is another excellent shop. Been around for 30 + yaers. Not the cheapest, but a very good shop. When I get in a bind or scratch my head they are always willing to help. Great people. But alas not near Chicago

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio