• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pearce Simpson SSB -2

I was a Simpson warranty repair dealer and sold somewhere around 1/4 of a million worth of Simpson products back in the day and never heard of or seen one of these Simbas. That being said the Simba was extremely popular in those days.

Reading through that thread and the links provided, it seems that there were a couple versions of that radio. Built during the time that the FCC was trying to decide if it was going to be 23 channels, 40 channels or 99 channels. CB was a hot topic at that time , very popular and guys were holding on to there cash waiting to buy a new radio.
Why throw down 300 dollars on a new 23 channel radio when next month you could have 40 channels ( or more) to use. Here is were it gets interesting.
https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/what-was-the-pearce-simpson-simba-ssb-2.274162/
If you take time to read through the 3 or 4 pages of the above link you will see that the FCC really put the hurt on some of the company's building Cb radios during that time by dragging there feet in the decision about how many channels they would allow. Big company's did not want to build something that was going to be obsolete in 30 days or so when the rules changed. I like the part about some of these radios had provisions to rewire the PLL to expand the radios after they were built and company's that encouraged there sales staff to " hint that the radio could be expanded " after the decision was made. Rember , back then 300 to 400 dollars was a lot of money.
It is a good read and has a lot of history about what happend during that time.

Jeff

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
in the ealy 70's I had a hard time getting Cobra radios and was selling Midland, gemtronics and pierce simpson and a few Pace radios as fast as I could get them in. normally all I could get was 3 at a time of each brand since my wholeseller was located here in Olahoma city I could go back and get 3 more the next day.. never did sell any Johnson radios and the reason for that was I hated the look of them.
they would get a shipment in and be sold out of the one radio brand they got in by the next day. back then all 23 channels were very busy 24 hours a day. it was very hard to get a break so you could talk on the radio.
in fact the guy that owned the radio supply house now owns Tram Browning items in Edmund, Oklahoma.

in the ealy 70's I had a hard time getting Cobra radios and was selling Midland, gemtronics and pierce simpson and a few Pace radios as fast as I could get them in. normally all I could get was 3 at a time of each brand since my wholeseller was located here in Olahoma city I could go back and get 3 more the next day.. never did sell any Johnson radios and the reason for that was I hated the look of them.
they would get a shipment in and be sold out of the one radio brand they got in by the next day. back then all 23 channels were very busy 24 hours a day. it was very hard to get a break so you could talk on the radio.
in fact the guy that owned the radio supply house now owns Tram Browning items in Edmund, Oklahoma.

I had little problems getting the radios I wanted on the shelf but for a while had a problem not having a big enough truck to carry what I could have sold. My first order for Cobra 29's "23ch" radios was for 24 units and I sold every one of them in less than a week with an average of about 35-40 radios a week there were a few times we did over 30k a week in sales and another 6K in radio work it was an amazing business and easy to wish I could back in time. I sold them all Johnson, Midland, tram, browning, Royce, Simpson, cobra, president, Uniden and at any given moment and depending on the deal that presented itself I would sell anything and everything even 8 track tapes and tape players was a really good business and of course handled all the major antenna brands and had a full-time installer that rarely had time to spare and several bench techs including myself that burned more than my fair share of midnight oil. Still would go back in a minute if I could just play Kick the can. Don't ask where all the money went that a real tear-jerker.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Looks like i might not get it as the seller is being a total dick about meeting up and isnt answering phone calls.

The seller flaked out on me and wont reply emails or calls for some odd reason. Screw him im moving on. I aint got time for games!!!

Simba 2 is a 858 board, well worth it.
Might be the same board as the centurion pll 40
Weather pending, im gonna go get it Sunday. The seller has some other stuff he wants me to look at, but like i said all depends on the weather.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.