• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

penetrator 500

If my memory is correct, it isn't a 5/8 wave, it is a .64 wave. They have more gain than a 5/8 wave. I also think they outlawed the aluminum .64 wave antennas. The new ones they reintroduced may be 5/8 wave, the old ones were just larger. I have a knock off version of the Penetrator 500 that was made by Archer, and I'm in the process of a restoration too.

???

If my memory is correct, it isn't a 5/8 wave, it is a .64 wave. They have more gain than a 5/8 wave. I also think they outlawed the aluminum .64 wave antennas. The new ones they reintroduced may be 5/8 wave, the old ones were just larger. I have a knock off version of the Penetrator 500 that was made by Archer, and I'm in the process of a restoration too.

Going from a 5/8 (which is the same as saying .625) to a .64 will net you a slight amount of gain. And by slight I'm referring to something like .3db gain. To go from 5/8 to a .64 you are adding about 6 inches at cb frequencies. I will not say it won't help, but you will not notice the difference.

They did outlaw aluminum CB antennas. That doesn't mean you can't get an aluminum commercial antenna that just happens to work well on the CB band.

The DB

Reactions: 1 person
Going from a 5/8 (which is the same as saying .625) to a .64 will net you a slight amount of gain. And by slight I'm referring to something like .3db gain. To go from 5/8 to a .64 you are adding about 6 inches at cb frequencies. I will not say it won't help, but you will not notice the difference.

They did outlaw aluminum CB antennas. That doesn't mean you can't get an aluminum commercial antenna that just happens to work well on the CB band.

The DB

I think they outlawed the aluminum .64 wave CB antennas. Don't they still sell the Sigma 5/8? or is that not intended for 11M usage?

Hey roadrage, I agree with The DB.

Have you got any viable evidence that the SP500 is a .64 wave rather than a 5/8 wave? Everything I've ever seen for this antenna plainly states that it's a 5/8 wave antenna. I know the older manuals show the the length to be from 22' 6" to 22' 9.5" over time and the New model shows to be 22' feet, but this antenna also has a base that is only 1.25" or 1.50", and if it is 1.50" at the bottom...the top of that longer base element is swagged down to 1.25". In either case, the rest of the elements above are smaller than other vertical 5/8 wave antennas I have noted.

This alone will make this 5/8 wave physically longer and it is using a thinner 7/16" tip, compared to most other brands that use a 1/2" tip. It has always been a bit longer and thinner that other 5/8 wave CB verticals.

Like you, I know a lot of folks claim the same, that the Penetrator is a .64 wave, but thus far none have never produced one shred of evidence that supports that idea...other than anecdotal comments.

Can you help us know for sure?

What are the measurements for your RS model?

Are any of the elements swagged?

I believe the RS antennas were made by HyGain too, and it may be very near the same construction, but I'm not sure.

BTW roadrage or anybody else, if your RS is pretty much the same as the older Penetrator and it uses the two wire tuning coil, could you post me a take off for the wire measurements right down to the "T" so I can model the matcher?

I've also been wondering about the .64 vs .625 thing and when I calculate the length of a .64 antenna at 27.255 (which was the top of the old 23 channel band when the P500 came out) I get 277.3".

If I take the length of the original p500; 22' 9.5" + 9.5" top hat radials = a total length (minus the 3" base insulator & coax connector) of 280.5" x velocity factor of aluminum in air of .99 = 277.7" which is within .4" of a .64 so I'd guess it is a .64 sold under the name/ spec of what was popular back in the day, a "5/8", but I don't think you will find another true 5/8 (.625) anywhere near as long as 22' 9.5" plus 9.5" top hat radials.

Too bad Mr Coily doesn't mention how long is his enforcer .64 base antenna & top hat radials to compare to.

I was mistaken and correct at the same time. I was thinkng of the Super Penetrator 500 Gold not the Penetrator 500. Sorry, I do a lot of research but have a bad memory. Sometimes my brain crosses and confuses some of the things I've read.

But here is a scanned catalog listing for the Crossbow .64 wave base antenna by Archer. That was the knock off version of the Super Penetrator 500 Gold.

From what I understand, the Penetrator was listed as a 5/8 wave though it was technically a .64 wave. They did this because all the other big selling base antennas, at that time period, were 5/8 wave. So even though they were technically a .64 wave it was sold as a .625(5/8) wave for marketing purposes.

BTW roadrage or anybody else, if your RS is pretty much the same as the older Penetrator and it uses the two wire tuning coil, could you post me a take off for the wire measurements right down to the "T" so I can model the matcher?

I believe the coil is different on the RS version.
If you still want it, PM me your address and I'll just send it to you, if you don't mind sending it back when you're done. I made my own matching coil that I modeled after the Sigma matching device. If I can't get it to work, I may need the original. That coil is supposed to be the weak link of the antenna for power handling, because of the small gauge wire they used. I fasioned one out of a 6' piece of aluminum flat stock. I used my water heater to bend it into a circle. I have a separate thread on my rebuild. I will post pictures as soon as my wife finds her camera that she misplaced.

I will also get a measurement of the total length of the radiating element of the antenna, once I get it all back together. It is currently in pieces.

I was mistaken and correct at the same time. I was thinkng of the Super Penetrator 500 Gold not the Penetrator 500. Sorry, I do a lot of research but have a bad memory. Sometimes my brain crosses and confuses some of the things I've read.

But here is a scanned catalog listing for the Crossbow .64 wave base antenna by Archer. That was the knock off version of the Super Penetrator 500 Gold.

From what I understand, the Penetrator was listed as a 5/8 wave though it was technically a .64 wave. They did this because all the other big selling base antennas, at that time period, were 5/8 wave. So even though they were technically a .64 wave it was sold as a .625(5/8) wave for marketing purposes.

Whoever wrote the description for the .64 obviously didn't have much technical knowledge, "Vertically polarized for maximum noise reduction". Almost all man-made noise IS vertically polarized - LOL :rolleyes:

And I also like, "Delivers the strongest signal and the lowest radiation of any antenna..." How do you have a strong signal with low radiation? LOL, obviously they left off the word 'Angle'. :D

The Golden Penetrator was merely an anodized version of the regular P500, there was no mechanical difference. I had one for a week and sold it when offered $250.

If you still want it, PM me your address and I'll just send it to you, if you don't mind sending it back when you're done. I made my own matching coil that I modeled after the Sigma matching device. If I can't get it to work, I may need the original. That coil is supposed to be the weak link of the antenna for power handling, because of the small gauge wire they used. I fasioned one out of a 6' piece of aluminum flat stock. I used my water heater to bend it into a circle. I have a separate thread on my rebuild. I will post pictures as soon as my wife finds her camera that she misplaced.

I will also get a measurement of the total length of the radiating element of the antenna, once I get it all back together. It is currently in pieces.

You should consider converting it to a P500 by simply hand bending a T match from aluminum or copper 12gauge and drilling a single hole through the bottom insulator for the stud to feed the T match directly from the center of the coax connector.

It's really easy to do and you'll have a higher power handling antenna.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

That is a very generous offer roadrage. I will PM you my address, but first could you post a picture of the matcher so I can get an idea what you're describing as different? Are you saying it is physically different in shape or just different in dimensions. If it is different in shape and design, then I won't be needing you to send the matcher or the dimensions, but thanks for the offer.

I was assuming the RS was about the same as the SP500 in all respects.

BTW, thanks for posting something saying the Penetrator is a .64 wave, even if it is only an ad...which generally claims whatever the ad producer thinks the reading public wants to hear or see.

Last edited:
You should consider converting it to a P500 by simply hand bending a T match from aluminum or copper 12gauge and drilling a single hole through the bottom insulator for the stud to feed the T match directly from the center of the coax connector.

It's really easy to do and you'll have a higher power handling antenna.

:)

i'll suggest just using aluminum so you don't have to worry about dis-similar metals not playing nice with each other .

ORD
QTY SHPD
QTY Product ID Description Unit Price Line Total
1 1 170774 MATCHING STUB, SPT-500 $6.08 $6.08
1 1 170775 SHORTING STUB, SPT-500 $2.56 $2.56
2 2 463642 1 8 TO 1 1 4 ROD SUPPORT, BK, $0.14 $0.28
1 1 863427 BASE ASSY, W PIN SHORT,AV12, $6.90 $6.90
1 1 463056 MKII UPPER INSULATOR, 71, $3.12 $3.12
Subtotal:
Tax:
Shipping & Handling:
Total:
$18.94
$0.00
$12.00
$30.94

MFJ can hook you up!!!! (y)

Reactions: 3 people
That is a very generous offer roadrage. I will PM you my address, but first could you post a picture of the matcher so I can get an idea what you're describing as different? Are you saying it is physically different in shape or just different in dimensions. If it is different in shape and design, then I won't be needing you to send the matcher or the dimensions, but thanks for the offer.

I was assuming the RS was about the same as the SP500 in all respects.

BTW, thanks for posting something saying the Penetrator is a .64 wave, even if it is only an ad...which generally claims whatever the ad producer thinks the reading public wants to hear or see.

The RS version matching device is some light gauge solid wire with a semi transparent insulating (kind of looks like green laquer) and its wrapped around a piece of plasic (looks like a short piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe). I think that is all I can see that is really different about the two antennas. Everything else looks the same to me. But I'll ask the wife if she found her camera. If she has, I'll post up a pic.

The RS version matching device is some light gauge solid wire with a semi transparent insulating (kind of looks like green laquer) and its wrapped around a piece of plasic (looks like a short piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe). I think that is all I can see that is really different about the two antennas. Everything else looks the same to me. But I'll ask the wife if she found her camera. If she has, I'll post up a pic.

I think I get it, so the matchers are totally different. I don't plan to do a model of the RS version of the Penetrator.

Thanks anyway. Good luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.