• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Picked up a little amp this week end

If someone plugged 3-500s in there it would have shorted the screen and grid bias supplies together. Your VR tOObs are still lighting so it looks like the screen supply is still working to some extent.

If the 4-400s are blushing it is probably due to lack of negative grid bias. Maybe it was simply potted all the way down. Check idle current per the manual.

That amp is in very nice condition but if someone offered 2k$ I'd take the bux and buy an Alpha 76 3 holer and take the wife out for dinner.

Bingo, you are correct. Good eye there HiDef. That is exacly what is wrong with the amp. The pic took with the tubes lit up is from another viking. should had mentioned that but wanted folks to see what it looked like when power was on. Both supplies are down at the moment. I will get them fixed by the week end.

Wait till you see the inside pictures. Almost better than the outside.
The owner of the box I got it from was told he could swap tubes by a guy that did not know what he was talking about. He had plenty of 3-500 at the time so he sold the original tubes. Mis informed I would say.

That 3-500Z swap would be very worthwile if you are keeping this amp.

To make it play would probably involve losing the choke input on the B+ supply and beefing up the filter for more voltage.

Well,
This week end I picked up another oldie.

This is a Heathkit Apache TX-1
Other wise known as the "Scratchy Apache"
Got this one for free!

attachment.php

Speaking of 'Ht-32's...
If there are any necrophiliacs around that would be interested in a partial 'Ht-32' carcass, come and get it.
By the way, an 'HT-32' is NOT a 'Handy-Talky', but was considered a fairly 'average' sized transmitter in it's day. It did that new-fangled 'side band' stuff, even double side band.
I didn't buy it new, just borrowed it. Tried to give it back and they wouldn't take it. Now I know why.
If you wanna look at it be my guest. If you so much as breath on it... it's yours, get it out of my garage! Might even throw in a 'matching' 'TO-Keyer', I'll even load that for you!
Expectantly waiting...
- 'Doc

Speaking of 'Ht-32's...
If there are any necrophiliacs around that would be interested in a partial 'Ht-32' carcass, come and get it.
By the way, an 'HT-32' is NOT a 'Handy-Talky', but was considered a fairly 'average' sized transmitter in it's day. It did that new-fangled 'side band' stuff, even double side band.
I didn't buy it new, just borrowed it. Tried to give it back and they wouldn't take it. Now I know why.
If you wanna look at it be my guest. If you so much as breath on it... it's yours, get it out of my garage! Might even throw in a 'matching' 'TO-Keyer', I'll even load that for you!
Expectantly waiting...
- 'Doc

Throw in free shipping and I'll take it :LOL::LOL::eek:

Radio Tech,
Yeah, right. You can ship a new car cheaper than that... thing. Come and get it, it's yours. Anybody??
- 'Doc

I'll give you twice what you paid for it no questions asked, without even seeing it, and I'll even let you pay the shipping charges. (y)

LOL
Think I am going to hang on to this one for now. Shipping this stuff cost!!!

I may have a second one coming this week end.
It is complete and fully functional. Then maybe I can trade one off for a Mohawk :)

Radio Tech,
Yeah, right. You can ship a new car cheaper than that... thing. Come and get it, it's yours. Anybody??
- 'Doc

Love to have it. But even the drive up would be costly.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.