• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Picked up a..

Yeah I see what you saying. I guess I was a little vague on the SWR. I checked the SWR on my Dipole with my Realistic 465 with an external meter and I had to tune the new Wilson with my Uniden PC78LTW with the same external meter.

I mentioned that the internal meter didn't work earlier. It doesnt move no matter which setting its on. :headbang

EDIT: is there anyway I can test the driver and final myself??

Also I called a local CB guy just to see what he had to say about the situation and he was saying that what ever final was in it the new one had to be the same part. Basically I couldn't mix and match the finals.. Is that true?

Another question: Has anyone had shipping issues with DTB radio? I saw a post on another forum stating DTB radio shipped the radio with no pading..just a radio in a box.

DTB usually ships your radio back in the box you send it in. He added additional paper padding to the bubble wrap I had my radios wrapped in to insure no shifting of contents inside the box.

Yes, I had a 2950 he shipped that way. My 2970 was decently packaged, but nothing to feel all warm and fuzzy about.

DTB usually ships your radio back in the box you send it in. He added additional paper padding to the bubble wrap I had my radios wrapped in to insure no shifting of contents inside the box.

We'll I plan on boxing this turd up nicely. I just don't want it to come back to me fixed but DOA when I open the box up.

Still not 100% sure where it's going just yet.

Does anyone know how I can test the final and or driver?

Another question: Has anyone had shipping issues with DTB radio? I saw a post on another forum stating DTB radio shipped the radio with no pading..just a radio in a box.

Personally, Dave has sent me back every radio in about the same manner I sent them to him. I am pretty sure he uses the same box, packing, and shipping method. That is how I've gotten all my radios back. I'll bet the people who had no packing, sent the radio out without packing.

You can test the finals. Don't quote me, but I believe you need to remove them first. You can use a multi meter. Different transistors are tested differently, so make sure you check what you have and which legs have continuity between them and in what direction. I would just send it out. Even if you do find it is the final or driver, finding a proper replacement may not be as easy as it should be. There are a lot of counterfeits being sold that are of very low quality. I tried to fix a Uniden PC 76 by replacing the final and driver. When I was done the radio still didn't work. I sent it out and Bells replaced the final and driver. Then it worked, lol. Very well, I might add.

Personally, Dave has sent me back every radio in about the same manner I sent them to him. I am pretty sure he uses the same box, packing, and shipping method. That is how I've gotten all my radios back. I'll bet the people who had no packing, sent the radio out without packing.

You can test the finals. Don't quote me, but I believe you need to remove them first. You can use a multi meter. Different transistors are tested differently, so make sure you check what you have and which legs have continuity between them and in what direction. I would just send it out. Even if you do find it is the final or driver, finding a proper replacement may not be as easy as it should be. There are a lot of counterfeits being sold that are of very low quality. I tried to fix a Uniden PC 76 by replacing the final and driver. When I was done the radio still didn't work. I sent it out and Bells replaced the final and driver. Then it worked, lol. Very well, I might add.

Haha glad to hear he got you set up! I'll be sending it out for sure. I guess I'm just curious on what thins I could do to help soften the blow to the wallet. I should just cut my loses. :p

Well after some searching it seems that the MOSFETs were installed some time in 2010 and this radio has a manufactor date of 0709 and was made in China(go figure).

I haven't personallylooked to see which final it has yet.

EDIT: I just looked.... I see two IRF520 on the bolted to the back of the radio. One is the driver and was is the final right?

Oh and I guess I have MOSFETs too...

Don't be so down, send that thing to DTB and you will be happy with the result. You should have a great talking little setup there once it's fixed up man. Good luck and hope you get it all sorted out!!

Don't be so down, send that thing to DTB and you will be happy with the result. You should have a great talking little setup there once it's fixed up man. Good luck and hope you get it all sorted out!!

Oh I'm not too down about it! No worries. On to the next one haha.

I've still got to find a power supply to run the little amp I picked up. From what RM Italy says a 12amp power supply should be fine for it but I'd rather get something a little larger so I can run the radio and amp off of one power supply. I was looking at a astron RS-20mto handle this. Any other suggestions on a power supply?

If no transmit, it is most likely that either the driver or final transistor has failed.
This is not uncommon and can happen to any radio.

If you have a DVM, you can check the final/driver transistors in diode check mode, but you will have to look on YouTube on how to test transistors.

Last edited:
If no transmit, it is most likely that either the driver or final transistor has failed.
This is not uncommon and can happen to any radio.

If you have a DVM, you can check the final/driver transistors in diode check mode, but you will have to look on YouTube on how to test transistors.

I do have a DVM, but I'm just gonna send it to DTB today. I figured by the time I get done tinkering with it it could have already been at his shop waiting in line..

Just out of curiosity, what generally causes the two parts to fail?

Last edited:
Sorry but you paid $130 for a radio that does not work and now you're going to pay more to have it repaired? If the seller will not refund then I would try to cut my loses and sell if for parts on Ebay and buy something new in the box. You didn't buy anything rare like a clean CPI2000 or a unmolested Tram D210a, the 959's are a dime a dozen online. Why have something fixed that is already showing problems? If I missed something in this tread about getting it repaired for free then I apologize for this message.

Sorry but you paid $130 for a radio that does not work and now you're going to pay more to have it repaired? If the seller will not refund then I would try to cut my loses and sell if for parts on Ebay and buy something new in the box. You didn't buy anything rare like a clean CPI2000 or a unmolested Tram D210a, the 959's are a dime a dozen online. Why have something fixed that is already showing problems? If I missed something in this tread about getting it repaired for free then I apologize for this message.

You read well, you didn't miss a thing. :D I understand what your saying and I probably should have done that exact thing but I'm just going to have it fixed. But I'm 99% sure my next radio will be brand new!

What I will probably do is just sell it for cheap to my buddy back home in Georiga. He's a little less fortunate than I am but I know he will appreciate the radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.