• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

plans or ideas for a homebrew rotator control box?

go to NORM's ROTOR SERVICE,.............
buy all the parts,..............
take them home and assemble them.:LOL:

my point is, you can buy a good used one for less than the price of the required parts.

BTW: there are at least 3 CDE boxes on QTH.COM right now for less than $100 and an older 2 button one for $25.

if you really just have to build one, then I commend your spirit, but,...

go to NORM's ROTOR SERVICE,.............
buy all the parts,..............
take them home and assemble them.:LOL:

my point is, you can buy a good used one for less than the price of the required parts.

BTW: there are at least 3 CDE boxes on QTH.COM right now for less than $100 and an older 2 button one for $25.

if you really just have to build one, then I commend your spirit, but,...

Although I always promote the idea of "homebrewing" equipment I have to agree with Road Squawker on this. Unless you have some different needs or idea's like driving it with a program by using a Pick chip with user friendly controls, memory, ect, then there is no need in "re-inventing" the wheel so to speak. With what each part will cost you and the time it would take to do this is not cost effective.

Well so far I have the power supply, relays, start capacitor, but not quite sure how to read the position of rotation

then go to NORM's site and look around,........ anything you want to know about those rotors/boxes is on there

You also need limit switches and understand how to implement them so that they not only cut power at the end of rotation but also switch the power so that the unit can be powered ONLY in the opposite direction until the limit switch is deactivated. Then you need to calibrate a direction sensor and readout. Simple in one respect if you understand electronics but difficult to implement if you do not or are mechanically challenged. IMHO follow the advise given and buy one.

Reactions: 1 person
MR FX -

Here's the schematic for the HAM IV control box and rotor. Homebrewing the control box can be done. The rotor uses a dual winding motor and has the limit switches and positioning potentiometer built-in, which simplifies things somewhat. Check out the OEM schematic for ideas on the readout. Additional info here: http://www.hy-gain.com/Downloads/index.php?productid=HAM-IV&filename=HAM-IV.pdf&company=hygain
Good luck and 73s.

ham IV.png

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated