• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Poll: Roger Beeps

How do you feel about roger beep usage?

• Hate them with a passion

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Hate them and those who use them

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Hate them and ignore the beeper user

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Are you looking for a way to use the stand your ground law to eliminate the beep user

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I can tolerate them to a small degree

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Love them and they help me meet other good buddies

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If someone calls for me using a roger beep or echo, I just ignore them and pretend to start talking to someone else. Around here only the newbies use the beeps and they usually learn fast.

Roger beeps have their place. Sometimes it can help distinguish a person from everyone else. Me personally, don't own any radios with them if that says anything. But to each his own. The roger beep was originally used for ssb operation to let others know you were off the key if memory serves me right.

I was under the impression that that particular sound, the one NASA used or maybe still uses in their communication's to manned space missions was where it originated. I could be wrong. IDK.

I don't mind a short RB at the end of a transmission, especially when there's a lot of traffic. I think it makes sense. I do use it while I'm on 11m AM. I would never use it on the Ham bands just because they (we) frown on it, but used in the proper manner I don't know why it's not accepted.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't mind a short RB at the end of a transmission, especially when there's a lot of traffic. I think it makes sense. I do use it while I'm on 11m AM. I would never use it on the Ham bands just because they (we) frown on it, but used in the proper manner I don't know why it's not accepted.

Unfortunately, it's the MIS-use of roger beeps that has made it an issue. If I have to talk to someone that's using it, I will politely ask if it can be turned off. If the person obliges, everything's kosher. If the person chooses to be a jerk about it and keeps using/abusing it without any kind of respect, I'll ignore 'em.

Bad thing is that it's usually the latter and not the former that ends up happening. But that's why there's a squelch and 39 other channels + freeband in which to conduct my conversations. :)

2RT307 made a valid point about long distance direct communications (on SSB), I can understand why it could be useful in that particular situation.

~Cheers~

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
It would have to be long long distance to where you can't hear their carrier unkey

Stating the obvious here, there's no carrier on sideband, but I get what you mean. Again back to my "defense" of the roger beep... long distance, station in the weeds.. hard to tell when he unkeys, the roger beep can help you maintain a conversation without all the "oops, I think I stepped on you" stuff. Really the only time I would ever consider using one. Or you can always just say "over" all the time. :laugh:

RT307

If I'm communicating with the ISS or other space mission - then sure, bring 'em on. Otherwise, please turn the damn thing off. ESPECIALLY the ones that are 10x louder than the actual transmission.

We used to call them 'good buddy' beeps when more drivers ran radios - it's how the good buddies would find each other. Of course that wasn't true but we did it to get everyone to turn 'em off.

I never bought into the long distance argument, if the station you're working is so weak that you can't tell when they stop transmitting, how can you understand what they're saying when they are ???

Reactions: 3 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated