• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

poor receive,connex 3300hp

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
I have a new connex 3300hp that has really poor receive.Unless the skip is really strong i cant hear any far off signals.Around town it works ok but not as good as most of the other hp's i have had in the past.Is there an ajustment inside the radio that i can try that will improve the receive?I looked on the net but could not find any info on this problem,thanks!

Hi KM,
Not likely that it's the proverbial 'loose wire', or just one adjustment screw to bring it back.

And it's not one of those "They all do that" things the auto mechanics talk about.

The one detail you left out was: Has it always been like this since you got it? Or did it used to receive like it should and then lose the sensitivity all at once? Or a little at a time, over a week or two?

If it has always been this way since you got it, a pro would start by verifying that a "golden screwdriver" hasn't cranked a handful of receiver adjustments out of whack. Sometimes this happens when "Joe Screwdriver" keys the mike, and then cranks every adjustment, one at a time, while focused on the wattmeter needle. Two-thirds or more of all those adjustments will have no effect on the wattmeter, because they affect the receiver only. If Joe puts each one carefully back where he found it before moving on to the next adjustment, no harm is done. If he randomly "cranks" them, the receiver's performance will suffer. When this happens, a complete alignment will bring the receiver back. "Just one" adjustment won't fix that problem.

A little background info can go a long way to narrowing down a cause. It's a lot like "My car won't start". Asking "Does it go "Rarr, Rarr, Rarr" when you crank the key?", or "Do the dash lights come on?" will begin to narrow down the possibilities.

The more background info like this that you can supply, the more helpful suggestions other folks on the forum will be able to offer.

Okay. As in "new out of the box, nobody had messed with the factory packing" kind of 'new'?

There have been reports of retail dealers who will take a new radio back from the first purchaser, and put it onto the shelf to resell WITHOUT checking first that it still performs like new. If it did in fact get used in a OTR truck for one day and returned to resell, there's the question of receiver damage from a nearby BandSmasher5000, pulled up mirror-to-mirror in the truck-stop parking lot.

Sorry to have to tell you this, but if it was never "sold once", returned and then sold to you second, this points to a genuine, real-live factory defect.

If it really was like this out the factory's door, and into your hands, that is a really bad sign.

So-called infant mortality is a reality of any mass-produced radio. Out of every thousand units shipped, there will be a handful of out-of-the-box failures like this. Haven't heard any rumors of a bad batch of this model, or a production run made with one bad part.

This kind of failure won't fall into any "we see that a lot" category. Most of those are the things that fail in everyday use. Every different radio design will have a list of those. The things you see over and over in the first hundred radios of that type that get repaired.

A true-blue "Dead On Arrival" failure will usually require the full set of tools and know-how to track down. I remember one batch of Galaxy Pluto radios that had one diode turned around the wrong way in the SSB receiver section. Played the devil tracking down the first one. Odd part was how many users just couldn't tell. Or just didn't care. Didn't have any effect on the AM receiver performance at all. Only if you used SSB would you even notice. Took a while before the first time somebody complained, and the problem got some attention. Don't know how many they made that way. Not a lot, but enough for us to see a handful of them.

A factory built-in problem like this one may be as simple as a rotten solder connection. Not likely, since those tend to come and go. Yours receives poorly all the time, sounds like.

One wrong resistor, an incorrect value, can disrupt the receiver all by itself. Don't see that more than once every two or three years. One transistor turned around the wrong way. Or, a part that was just no good in the first place.

In general an out-of-box defect like that calls for a 'scope, signal generator, service data and somebody who can use all 3 to do the troubleshooting. Oh, and the right replacement part, when you track down the culprit. Finding a bad part is a good start. Seeing the problem FIXED is where the troubleshooting really ends.

A typical shortcut involves observing how "sharp" the peak appears on some of the slug-tuned RF and IF transformers/coils. When a tuning slug that usually shows a sharp peak, one that drops off a quarter of a turn either side of the peak, becomes "flat", or shows only a gradual rise when turned all the way to one end, it's time to check parts in the circuit hooked to that coil. Trouble is, you have to know which adjustments normally have a sharp peak, and which ones have a broad peak, one that requires a full turn either way to make the meter drop off.

A coil that behaves DIFFERENTLY in this radio than it did in the last several dozen (preperly) working units is a clue. Trouble is, no written record of this characteristic exists to use as a guide. A tech who has aligned a lot of them will know, but odds are he has no written record of this to pass along.

Fixed a Galaxy mobile radio that was receiving poorly last month. Found the first mixer FET turned around, with the flat side facing the wrong way. Trouble was, the flat side of the part agreed with the flat side of the little white screen-printed outline symbol on the circuit board. Looked right, as if it was turned the right way. The coil that feeds into it would not peak. Normally it shows a sharp (quarter-turn) peak with the slug only halfway down. This one would almost show a peak with the slug cranked in as far as it goes. This led to removing and checking the FET. It was perfectly okay, but testing it required that I identify which leg was the gate terminal. When I went to put it back, that leg was facing the wrong way for the circuit. Put it in the holes with the flat face opposite the outline symbol on the board. Fixed the mysterious receiver problem. Don't know how the part got in there backwards. Somebody who looked at the white outline symbol on the board and believed it, I guess.

The only clue was that the tuning slug in the RF coil feeding into that FET wouldn't peak normally. Until I poked further and saw the problem. Once the FET was turned around the right way, the radio had full receiver sensitivity after touching up the alignment.

Would never have found it without a way to check the FET and a signal generator. The 'scope was only a little help that time.

Your mileage may vary.

I just wanted to know if and where the ajustment was inside of the radio for the receive so i could try and increase the receive before i had to take it to a shop!The radio works great over all its just the receive is not as strong as it has been in the other connex radios i have had in the past so i think its just be poorly tuned,maybe the tech missed that when he did his p&t.

I count nine adjustments in the radio that will exhibit a "peak" in the AM receiver signal when you turn the slug. FM has one slug that doesn't affect AM. The noise blanker has two, but they won't cut down the main receiver level.

Of course, it only takes one of them, cranked off of its peak, to reduce the receive.

Out of nine, which one do you suppose it is?

Even a pro won't know without feeding a steady signal into the receiver, and seeing what effect each one of those nine will show when he turns the slug, watching the signal level.

If there were only one, I woulda just told you which.

All those paragraphs from nomad and no help, like usual... Seems to be his typical response a 30-page booklet that says absolutely nothing..lol

All those paragraphs from nomad and no help, like usual... Seems to be his typical response a 30-page booklet that says absolutely nothing..lol
Did someone piss in your cornflakes today?
Chris spends a lot of his personal time here helping users on the forum.
And you dig up a 15 year old thread just badmouthing someone.

On your profile you claim 20+ years of schooling in electronics study, I am sure you have a better answer.

Jeff

Interesting.... Nomad has over 5K post helping members here solve issues illustrated by the almost 8K likes, (he's solved a couple of mine}, yet here you are you're bashing him? I'm excited to see the wealth of knowledge you have to share, oh wait.... you've been a member since 2018 and only have 12 post, none of which even attempt to assist anyone with a problem, and of course the 4 likes. So chill Mr. 12 banger.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.