• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Popular Communications

NorthStar

Administrator
Mar 21, 2005
Anybody read this magazine?

I like it alot. I plan on joining arrl soon so I can get QST then It looks like a good magazine as well.

I subscribed to PopCom from the early 80's until the mid 90's.They seemed to change directions after Tom Knietel stepped down as the full time editor.I've enjoyed his writing style since I was a kid in the 70's reading S9.Don't get me wrong,it is still a good read and I still pick it up at the newstand once in awhile.

pop comm

it has changed, over the years it is no where what it use to be. but there are so few rags out there that is not under the influence of the ARRL. so i read on like i have for the last 15 years. it's okay for the beginner but after a while it just becomes regurgitated info. but the pirates den is cool. it would be nice to see it get a little more technical, and some basic projects. it's nice that they don't shun cbers and have that elitist attitude thats why i still buy it.

Pop Comm mentioned the Cobra 200GTL's in this months issue. It;s small but they are still mentioned.

PopComm was the first mag I ever saw once I became interested in SWL and that introduced me to ham radio. I had my parents' console model shortwave radio of the sort families would gather around in the WWII era.

I occationally still buy copies. Depends on what subjects the mag is featuring.

o

AH,that old Philco console! Spent hours sitting beside it listening to hams and shortwave broadcasts in the 50's. Mom was tolerant--until I started listening to heterodynes. They sounded like an airplane flying! :LOL: So, I'd get a tin pie plate and pretend to be flying bombing missions over Germany. I musta been about 9 years old!

"MERCY! CUT OFF THAT RACKET RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

Oh darn! One thwarted bomber pilot and another heroic mission
aborted! :p

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.