• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Populating programming software before receipt of radio

Need2Know

KK4GMU - Ocala, FL
Jan 26, 2012
Ocala, FL
www.muccings.blogspot.com
As mentioned earlier, I have a couple of Kenwood radios on order.
**Jump_im**

Not that I'm anxious, or anyting like that, but I have already downloaded the programming software for each.

Is there any harm in entering the rx and tx frequencies and offsets and tone frequencies in advance of having the radio hooked up to the computer?

These would be for local nets, local repeaters, and rx on local public service/public safety channels.

Will it then be a just a matter of following the proper sequence of hooking up the radio to the computer and uploading to the radios?

Reactions: 1 person

No Problem

--Hi. Have fun with your purchase of the Kenwood radios. No problem whatsoever...I have done the exact same thing with a Kenwood 8160 (a modern commercial radio I used for GMRS and 70cM), ICOM F221, ICOM V8000, and an ICOM 2200H. I just typed in what frequencies I wanted and programmed it in at a later date. At least in MY experience, I have never had to "read" the radio first...I was just able to "write" immediately. Just hook up your radio to the prog. cable and go. Have fun.

I think a lot of people probably do that. Fill in the 'blanks' for the repeaters, etc, then save it. When you get that radio (either one), read it's memory and save that one. Then you can load the 'populated' file you did. Never hurts to have the original programming state of the radio. Probably nothing much in it, but it gives you a 'starting point' for reference. If you don't change your channel line up at least once before you're satisfied with it, it'll surprize me (everybody does). Arrange, re-arrange, "why didn't I think of that before?", who knows how many times.
Who, me? I never! ... yeah right.
- 'Doc

From my experience on helping others program there radios or other items. if you cannot get the pc to acknowledge the radio "communicate" make sure you have the right COM port selected. which can be done through these steps: right click my computer, click Manage, new screen will open. then click; Device manager, click Ports (COM & LPT). right click the USB device property's than advance and choose your com port. keep in mind with windows PC com port 1-3 are used sop you have to choose another.

hope that helps? 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.