• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Possible Galaxy 94HP problem

Jim1428

Feb 13, 2017
One of the local guys just acquired a new Galaxy 94HP, I have noticed when he operates on CB ch22 AM he also generates a signal on 28.200. I am using a Yaesu FTDX3000 with a panadapter to monitor the band, I am using a Penetrator 500 antenna.

I can kick in 18db attenuation on the radio and still hear him clearly. With no attenuation I get an s6-s7 signal, with attenuation the signal is s2-s3. I live about 1/2 mile from him so I don't know if he is overloading the 3000 or if he has a problem.

I have talked to a couple of other hams farther away and they are going to check his signal the next time he is on the air.

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems like this with this radio.

Hmm...

22 CB is 27.225 so...

28.200 - 27.225
=
0.975MHz

So that means it is something in either the mixer stage (byproduct) or he's having a really hard time trying to keep his channels on the same frequency - this may be a divisor error (How?) the PLL attempts to jump when the voltage is not steady in the Galaxy radio - the PLL chip resets itself at times by jumping - this jumping is a divisor result in the channel selector - so if the PLL thinks it's "falling" or unable to regulate - this occurs as an instantaneous moment of correction - this usually happens on poor regulation of the 8 volts the PLL needs - so if Audio is pulling that resource down - so does the PLL's own regulation and the PLL can't keep up - it tries to re-establish lock.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
I don't know that a low pass filter will help much, it's going to attenuate above 30 mhz but will still pass the Ten meter band.
This is a problem with the radio as Andy is talking about.

Jeff

Yes, a " band pass filter " would chop them out, but there is still something not right with the radio.
Also it's going to attenuate anything outside of the regular 40 channels.

Jeff
I assumed that most 10 meter radios would do this to 28.200 if they were splattering. The most common problem we hear about is 54 MHz, so I figured 28.200 was one of the harmonics generated. If the pll is causing it, then this is a new one for me. That makes an interesting problem for sure, I still manage to learn something new every day.

Thanks for the suggestions and information everyone. I am going to suggest
he contact the place he purchased the radio from and see if they will repair it,
if not then the filter is next in line.

One of the local guys just acquired a new Galaxy 94HP, I have noticed when he operates on CB ch22 AM he also generates a signal on 28.200. I am using a Yaesu FTDX3000 with a panadapter to monitor the band, I am using a Penetrator 500 antenna.

I can kick in 18db attenuation on the radio and still hear him clearly. With no attenuation I get an s6-s7 signal, with attenuation the signal is s2-s3. I live about 1/2 mile from him so I don't know if he is overloading the 3000 or if he has a problem.

I have talked to a couple of other hams farther away and they are going to check his signal the next time he is on the air.

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems like this with this radio.
whoever tuned the radio clipped the alc and moved the 54 mhz trap coil.. reverse that.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Thanks for the suggestions and information everyone. I am going to suggest
he contact the place he purchased the radio from and see if they will repair it,
if not then the filter is next in line.
If the shop is a clip and snip max the audio out kinda "tune" shop it will be pointless. They will put it on the bench, turn the talk back up and start saying audio hello into the mic. Then they will say look at that watt meter and do you hear that? It's working, doing 140 watts.

The solution is have a tech that does correct quality work look at it. This means checking the radio on a scope for a clean signal. Probably have to restore what ever limiter has been clipped and then adjust the power output to a factory stock level or even a bit conservative. At 60-80 honest watts it probably would not act up.

Reactions: Eldorado828
If the shop is a clip and snip max the audio out kinda "tune" shop it will be pointless. They will put it on the bench, turn the talk back up and start saying audio hello into the mic. Then they will say look at that watt meter and do you hear that? It's working, doing 140 watts.

The solution is have a tech that does correct quality work look at it. This means checking the radio on a scope for a clean signal. Probably have to restore what ever limiter has been clipped and then adjust the power output to a factory stock level or even a bit conservative. At 60-80 honest watts it probably would not act up.
He purchased it on line, we do not have any local shops that work on
cb radios, when I talk to him I will check if he had it peaked and tuned.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated