• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Possible lightning strike?

007_man

Apr 29, 2011
Savannah,Tennessee
Hey ya'll. We are having scattered thunderstorms tonight here in West TN. Well the orange stuff kept getting closer and closer. I was too hard headed to unhook my stuff. :unsure:. Well a lightning strike struck near my home. When it did, I heard my linear "click" like my keyup relay. I didn't pay any attention to it. About 3 mins later...I SMELL SMOKE!:eek::eek:. I jump up run to my radio and quickly unhook my main coax and from the wall. I smell closely to my amp and sure nuff....thats where its coming from. It was extremely warm but not hot. But I wasn't talking on it. I didn't see smoke but I could smell it. Dear God, please don't be burnt up!

Sounds like a voltage spike came in on the coax cable and cleaned the T/R relay and locked it in tx mode thereby frying the amp. It may have just fried the power supply.................then again maybe not. Either way consider yourself lucky that is all that happened and learn from this. I NEVER gamble with lightning.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?