• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pot grow noise

While growing pot in that state may be legal, the transmission of noise is not legal. The power company is responsible to keep power line noise to the minimal level it can.
If the noise level is too high and reaches too far the quickest remedy is to pull the plug.
Call the power company and lodge a formal complaint and tell them your next call is going to the FCC right after you hang up with them.
Be nice and don't get mad, a calm voice letting them know you are serious will get you farther than a rude raving maniac. I have proved this over and over.
A raving maniac gets hung up on and ignored. My wife works for a federal law enforcement agency and she can tell within seconds what the encounter will be. Sometimes the agents just lay the phone on the desk and let them rave on and occasionally just say "I see" until the manic rant slows down or quits.

Thank You wavrider and Tallman . I will call power company and make complaint and look into mfj1026 I believe there is someone close who will let me borrow one to see if it will work for me. As far as marijuana I will do everything in my power to complain, protest and do what ever works to stop it's spread and destruction of America. Now and forever even if it becomes law.

If you try the mfj1026 let us know how it works. A guy near me is having the same issue. Something is on a 12 hour tuner and causes 9 s units of noise from 9pm to 9am. The noise is very broadbanded. He hears it on 11 meters and his am/fm alarm clock. He suspects grow lights with cheap ballasts.

If what your neighbor is doing it's legal go talk to them about trying some filters. You may not agree with what they are doing but if you're rude you won't get any help. Read the reviews on these. An ameatur operator says they helped his noise level tremendously. This one has an odd plug on it but there has to be one to suit your needs.

https://growershouse.com/revolution-ballast-emi-filter-reduce-rf-emi

I am going to try a MFJ 1026 for an injector noise problem on a 2017 Honda Civic(horrible rf coming though the antenna). I also have powerline noise and a noise that is new. Would not be surprised if it was the growing that is going around here on the central coast of california. Great post. Thank you. The MFJ is already at my house. Think it will get a workout.

Reactions: Jimbo165
I am going to try a MFJ 1026 for an injector noise problem on a 2017 Honda Civic(horrible rf coming though the antenna). I also have powerline noise and a noise that is new. Would not be surprised if it was the growing that is going around here on the central coast of california. Great post. Thank you. The MFJ is already at my house. Think it will get a workout.
Let us know how that works for you. I have one of the Digital speech processors and it really cleaned up my receive signals. MJF 1025 is what I have.

Reactions: wavrider
XM2 300HP Cable UPS commonly used by Comcrap Xfinity here has a well documented filtering issue. Getting Comcrap to admit to it was impossible. So I asked the local power company to come out and verify that it was the source of tremendous noise. I already knew what the problem was and had been in touch with Alpha. Our power company ever so politely told Comcrap to fix it or they would cut power to the unit.
So it's not unheard of for a power company to disconnect due to RFI.

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-c...intentional-interference-to-telecoms-provider
http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-c...intentional-interference-to-telecoms-provider
Again, interfere with big telco or licensed providers and there will be repercussions. Although this was concerning cellular telephone bands (read here "big $$") it has an interesting parallel with regular non-grow fluorescent ballasts. I've also found several external power supplies for small televisions, larger plasma televisions (these are well known and horrible) electronic washing machines and even plug into the wall USB chargers. I kept finding a cell phone charger that I had tossed several times, plugged in yet again. I killed it with a 20lb sledge.

I am very fortunate that I have great neighbors. I was able to replace switching supply wall warts with real iron and be done with it . It took a while but it was worth it .
I started out with a constant S9 noise floor, it's now less than S3 at night and none of it local.

Last but not least was the grow-op down the street. We're legal here within limits so that wasn't the hook I used. He seemed like a decent neighbor otherwise so I confronted him with...
"... I'm in no way opposed to what you're doing in your own house other than the noise it puts in my radio. However if I can recognize and find the source of the noise with nothing more than a transistor AM radio, how long is it before the neighborhood tweakers, thieves, and zombies figure it out ?
How about I help eliminate the noise and you get to keep your family, house and investment safe? "
We found an economical and easy way to fix the problem in short order. He's still a great neighbor .
No I don't smoke the stuff . Draw your own conclusions about how I feel about marijuana use. You'd be wrong .

The European Union (EU) has a great way of dealing with imported noise generating crap. They prosecute the importers,the wholesalers, the retailers, the end user, the carrier the brings to their boarder and the manufacturer . It didn't stop the production of this RFI producing crap one bit. It just gets shipped to the US where the toothless and clueless Federal Clown Commission is powerless to do anything about it even if they understood the problem. When congress and the department of Justis (Just Us) stripped the FCC of it's enforcement powers it wasn't because of their well documented incompetence it was they stood in the way of dollars, big dollars.
I just find it curious that all this began to happen hand in hand with international trade agreements that were put in place to strengthen the dollar against foreign currency.

I'm unsure whether to quote Paul Harvey or Kurt Vonnegut in closing . Either or both seem appropriate.
...and now you know the rest of the story.
...and so it goes.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Called power company and was told they would come out and check transformer and lines to see if causing problems and give me a call back on results. No answer from them yet. Cost of Mfj 1026 stopping me from getting one right now but will have one soon to try and see if it works. I will always be against marijuana in any form except medical but medical to be policed way better than it is now.

Let us know how that works for you. I have one of the Digital speech processors and it really cleaned up my receive signals. MJF 1025 is what I have.

Well so far in the 2 days I have been using the MFJ 1026 I am undecided. I had the base going in the garage while I was trying to mitigate the noise in my 2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo Direct Injection(gave all that because if you mobile say no to this vehicle even though it is a great car in all). It did attenuate the noise but, it did not eliminate(mechanical noise injectors). By the kids (15 and 19) position outside of the vehicle it limited receive(base and my mobile in previous vehicle were very similar(same receiver on board etc.). They are used to this with a high noise level due to how close we are to the power lines. With almost non-measurable precipitation yesterday the normal noise levels were down so there was nothing to help the base with due to S-units already being on the floor. As far as the other location I have tried it this evening no change. S-units low 1.5, No HF hum/buzz/shrill that I have heard at times recently. I have not found it hard to follow the instructions to run the unit. The tuning is not difficult If you read the instructions. I have tried the internal antenna on jumper 1 with preamp on. This was the only get the phasing antenna to make to the same S-units as the main.. Jumper in the 2 position with external phasing antenna was unable to come up to the same s-units as primary at gain max. Only a couple of days and I did not buy this unit new(ebay). Just wanted to give my initial findings.

thanks for the update review on the noise canceling.

As far as mechanical noise created by tax deductions??
$20 bill and keys to the car usually reduces noise level tremendously. Although not a permanent solution.

Well so far in the 2 days I have been using the MFJ 1026 I am undecided. I had the base going in the garage while I was trying to mitigate the noise in my 2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo Direct Injection(gave all that because if you mobile say no to this vehicle even though it is a great car in all). It did attenuate the noise but, it did not eliminate(mechanical noise injectors).
You might want to contact Honda with that issue. They have to meet RFI standards just like all other manufactured products.

POT Radio...

Garden_Pot_Radio.jpg

Power company showed up today and transformer ok but employee is going to talk to engineers at company about RF noise and have them bring a mobile detector out to check lines also. The employee told me that the grower had converted entire two car garage and power company had to update his wiring and transformer because of growing power usage. I told him FCC has rules concerning RF generated noise. This employee was very helpful and said that this is a problem for more than just me. Talked to neighbor across street from grower and she said sometimes she cannot enjoy her walk because of smell of pot and she also had contacted Township Supervisor about it and he had stated they had not realized that it created these problems.. I am still looking at MFJ 1026 but I talked to someone that had used one and it did not work as expected it was more of a RF gain turn down. We will see????.

Power company showed up today and transformer ok but employee is going to talk to engineers at company about RF noise and have them bring a mobile detector out to check lines also. The employee told me that the grower had converted entire two car garage and power company had to update his wiring and transformer because of growing power usage. I told him FCC has rules concerning RF generated noise. This employee was very helpful and said that this is a problem for more than just me. Talked to neighbor across street from grower and she said sometimes she cannot enjoy her walk because of smell of pot and she also had contacted Township Supervisor about it and he had stated they had not realized that it created these problems.. I am still looking at MFJ 1026 but I talked to someone that had used one and it did not work as expected it was more of a RF gain turn down. We will see????.

Jimbo, The MFJ will need 1 additional outdoor antenna that is the same(similar) as your primary receive antenna, 1/4, 1/2, 5/8. This is the new issue that I have. I get better attenuation with the jumpers as recommended with the internal(on board antenna on) with the pre-amp on(really no phasing can occur with this configuration unless your noise comes from your indoor location.I say this because you should be able to make your noise level the same as your primary receiving antenna.I have not been able to do this because the phasing antenna will not come up to noise so the device can work. I think that if the phasing antenna(so long as it is similar to you main antenna) had higher gain it would be easier to tune. Only on day 3 so for what it is worth.

Jimbo at this point I can see that. RF gain turn down. The kids called it which they do so fast now.. 2 similar gain antennas I have not tried(like 99 to 99). I really prefer the K40 plus on the mobile so I tried a Wilson 1000 as the phasing antenna. It would not come up to the K40 when trying to get base level.. If I fall into another Sirio 27 5/8 or Antron 99 then we will have a test. When I do that you will know.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated