• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

power feeding a texas star dx 667 v ?

I cannot stress this enough The 667 is a good amplifier for a Cobra 148GTL Uniden Grant Radio Shack TRC-465 /TRC-485 and any other single final radios because it has the 2SC2290 driver final transistor to drive the 4 2SC2879 final transistors. You start driving that 2SC2290 with a dual final radio as mentioned the they get goofy and like to pop the transistors after everyone listens to your overdriven dirty signal for a short time.

The 500 is the same amplifier just minus the 2SC2290 60 watt driver final and you can let your dual final radio drive the amplifier same input rule on AM as any other amplifier but SSB is where that DX500 is gonna shine it will take everybit of what that export has to feed it ;) I run my HF rigs into my DX 500 amplifiers and they sound and work great. Im not driving 100 watts into them but they will take 30 t0-60 watts no problem. I dont run them taht hard because I wanna stay clean and no sense pounding the amplifier for that extra few watts nobodys gonna see or here ;)

Biggest most important advice I can give you is stay away from the variable units as that variable is a terrible weak point and the pots like to fail or let go get the staright push button ;) Also PUT A SMALL 12 VOLT FAN ON THE HEAT SINK AND IT WILL LAST FOREVER!!! Every amplifier should have a fan on the heatsink or atleast blowing across it ;) Take my word you will love that DX500 I have owned and still own several amplifiers and thos DX500 are my alltime favorites. My original Palomar TX5200 mobile amplifier with 80-10 meter bandpass filteringt is nice but wont do the output that DX500 will do.

I cannot stress this enough The 667 is a good amplifier for a Cobra 148GTL Uniden Grant Radio Shack TRC-465 /TRC-485 and any other single final radios because it has the 2SC2290 driver final transistor to drive the 4 2SC2879 final transistors. You start driving that 2SC2290 with a dual final radio as mentioned the they get goofy and like to pop the transistors after everyone listens to your overdriven dirty signal for a short time.

The 500 is the same amplifier just minus the 2SC2290 60 watt driver final and you can let your dual final radio drive the amplifier same input rule on AM as any other amplifier but SSB is where that DX500 is gonna shine it will take everybit of what that export has to feed it ;) I run my HF rigs into my DX 500 amplifiers and they sound and work great. Im not driving 100 watts into them but they will take 30 t0-60 watts no problem. I dont run them taht hard because I wanna stay clean and no sense pounding the amplifier for that extra few watts nobodys gonna see or here ;)

Biggest most important advice I can give you is stay away from the variable units as that variable is a terrible weak point and the pots like to fail or let go get the staright push button ;) Also PUT A SMALL 12 VOLT FAN ON THE HEAT SINK AND IT WILL LAST FOREVER!!! Every amplifier should have a fan on the heatsink or atleast blowing across it ;) Take my word you will love that DX500 I have owned and still own several amplifiers and thos DX500 are my alltime favorites. My original Palomar TX5200 mobile amplifier with 80-10 meter bandpass filteringt is nice but wont do the output that DX500 will do.
i got the 667 because its a single final radio and the 667 has that driver i did get the variable im getting one new in the box on a deal i never meant to have one i have a 2 2879 toshiba pill texas star black widow that works just fine plus the reciever amp is filtered and other little extras, so i may just sell it. but the fact i have a single final radio is why the 667 ive had a few ts dx 500s they rock had an old mirage 88 with a ts modulator driving the dx 500

and really its all about the receive got to hear them to talk to them

The 667 is in no way a high drive amp, just the opposite, it is a LOW drive amp first built long ago for single final radios that struggled to make 3 or 4 watts.
I am not, and have never been a fan of amps with drivers in them.

Jeff
ill never be over driving it and i guess ill have to solder in a pot here and there, sounds like alot of trouble indeed

I will say I have know 2 radio friends who bought 667 amps and they both had issues. Like most guys said the first 100 watts is what makes a big difference 125 to 150 on SSB in a mobile can get you talking to anyone you hear from coast to coast and further. So do yourself a favor, get someone to buy the 667 and if power is your issue try a Texas Star 250 or 350 max and you will be a happy camper just stay away from those RM Italy amps I have had nothing but issues with any of them that I bought. Good Luck and have fun DXing.

I will say I have know 2 radio friends who bought 667 amps and they both had issues. Like most guys said the first 100 watts is what makes a big difference 125 to 150 on SSB in a mobile can get you talking to anyone you hear from coast to coast and further. So do yourself a favor, get someone to buy the 667 and if power is your issue try a Texas Star 250 or 350 max and you will be a happy camper just stay away from those RM Italy amps I have had nothing but issues with any of them that I bought. Good Luck and have fun DXing.
yeah ive had a bunch of amps in my days always like the texas stars have a 2 2879 pill one now works fine, i bought an over priced over rated custom built junk radio, i had to file a complaint with paypal over it, so part of my money back is a new in the box 667 i got a good deal i couldn't refuse, so i may just sell it.

The reason I say I like and use the DX500 models is because I tell everyone the best bang for your buck is within that first 1oo watts and having the extra 250 - 300 watts is money wisely spent after that wattage you have to spend $$$$ to get you into the 1,500 legal limit range. Using the DX 500 will get you easily into that 250 - 300 watt range and leaving breathing or headroom in the amplifier.

What I mean is you dont have to drive the DX500 hard and beat the p!$$ out of it creating heat ETC that causes thes amplifiers to fail to achieve that wattage . Basically you can baby the amplifier to get that wattage in return you get lots of reliable trouble free years from the amplifier because you are not running it hard as theres more room above and beyond for darn near double the output the DX500 can offer but why??

Im hoping Im making sense hear or your understanding what Im saying. I use a sports car as an example the narrow it down, If you have a Corvette and its capable of 160MPH thats great BUT.... How long is that Corvette engine going to last if you go 160MPH everyday you get in it? Not half aslong as if you drove it at speed limit 95% of the time. I say 95% of the time because just like an amplifier you would certainly play from time to time a little harder than normal we all do it while playing or testing.

The reason I say I like and use the DX500 models is because I tell everyone the best bang for your buck is within that first 1oo watts and having the extra 250 - 300 watts is money wisely spent after that wattage you have to spend $$$$ to get you into the 1,500 legal limit range. Using the DX 500 will get you easily into that 250 - 300 watt range and leaving breathing or headroom in the amplifier.

What I mean is you dont have to drive the DX500 hard and beat the p!$$ out of it creating heat ETC that causes thes amplifiers to fail to achieve that wattage . Basically you can baby the amplifier to get that wattage in return you get lots of reliable trouble free years from the amplifier because you are not running it hard as theres more room above and beyond for darn near double the output the DX500 can offer but why??

Im hoping Im making sense hear or your understanding what Im saying. I use a sports car as an example the narrow it down, If you have a Corvette and its capable of 160MPH thats great BUT.... How long is that Corvette engine going to last if you go 160MPH everyday you get in it? Not half aslong as if you drove it at speed limit 95% of the time. I say 95% of the time because just like an amplifier you would certainly play from time to time a little harder than normal we all do it while playing or testing.
yeah i dont know if i will even keep it or not , i wouldnt be using it on high for the reasons you said, plus i wonder what it would do to the electronics of the truck?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.