• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power loss at antenna ?

I took my meter out to the antenna, I hooked it up with 1 foot jumper. I calibrated meter and checked power and SWR. SWR went up to 1.25 from 1.1 the power went from 4 watts to 3 watts.

You've just had a demonstration that your antenna sytem has a completely inadequate RF ground and that the coax going from the antenna to the radio you bypassed was being used as one.

Ok I guess what you mean is I need to ground my radio in the garage to a earth ground at a electrical box and recheck it? Thank you for the help, I need it.

Reactions: Slowmover
Ok I guess what you mean is I need to ground my radio in the garage to a earth ground at a electrical box and recheck it? Thank you for the help, I need it.

No, not that at all. You've described an electrical ground, not a RF ground. The two are completely different things and you implement them differently. What you need to do is to make/buy some radials and attach them to the antenna at the feedpoint. The Imax 2000 and Antron A99 for example have ground plane kits you can buy, antennas like the Sirio 827 or Sirio 2016 come with them built in. For those where no solution is available the easiest and cheapest way to implement it is four 9ft lengths of wire (reduce by 5% if using insulated wire) attached to the metal bracket of the antenna and brought out in a cross pattern, sloping downwards between 30-45 degrees. It'll affect tuning so you may need to adjust your antenna if it increases the SWR above 1.6 or so.

You also need to buy/make a RF choke to choke off the outside of the braid of the coax so it can no longer be used as part of the antenna. It needs to be done as close to the antenna socket as possible and can be done by simply making a coil from excess coax of 4.25" diameter with 5 turns.

Reactions: Road Squawker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.