• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power mic for 148 Gtl?

StoneCrusher said:
Hey guys,
Just want some of your opions what power mics sound good with these radios....... I'm currently using a RD104E.

Howdy StoneCrusher,
I best Power Mic that I found is the 575m6. The way I run mine on my 2950DX. (IS) I tune the mic gain up ON the radio to 2 o'clock. And turn down the Mic and Tone about 1/4 inch from the botton. Everyone say's that Mine on a base station.
I hope this help you.. Oh Very Nice Peter Car. A lot of BLING BLING..
Tom (Aka) 667 Chicago Mobile

Older 148GTL ? ...I can't say the best about any mic because that would depend on a few things .....what kind of voice do you have ? Who tuned the radio and did they clip anything in it ? Just a basically benched scoped out tune either tuned high or low ...I'll go along with the 575 M6 for both AM and SSB .....The D-104 Hand Helds I don't personally like on SSB ...there very load on AM though ...different strokes for different folks. If your using the radio for base station operations ? I'd go with the best sounding mic I've ever personally heard on a older 148 GTL (Cobra 2000) That would be the Shure 526-T amplified desk mic hands down !! both AM/SSB all the way ....second would be a Sadelta echo Master plus ...now they go by the Galaxy name.I once was a D-104 lolly pop fan until I heard and used the other mic's and plus I never liked those on the SSB side of things ....but you could fix that problem with a 10DA head on those which were very nice sounding or even a non amplified D-104 lolly pop would do the same ...IM not much into tinty sounding mic's and or back ground modulation if i can avoid it and D-104s are very good at that. ....So in a nut shell my vote would be 575M6 for the motor car / Shure 526-T for the base on a 148 GTL Good Luck to you

d

The best mic I have used with my 148 gtl's is the stock mic that comes with the more recent Uniden radios. I know this sounds nuts, but these mics have more modulation than the RK56's and the 636's. The stock Uniden mic has as much modulation as my hand held d104. It is not noise cancelling so I have to cut back on the mic gain in the big truck, but I still have tons of modulation. Try one, you won't be sorry - cheap too.
PS, these mics sound great too, nothing but great reports. I never would have thought that a stock Uniden mic would be my mic of choice for my 148 gtl's and my Uniden...

LoneWolf TN

StoneCrusher said:
Hey guys,
Just want some of your opions what power mics sound good with these radios....... I'm currently using a RD104E.

If you're looking for "Crisper" audio and less bass, the Astatic D104m6b would work well

If you're looking for more of a deeper audio with more bass, a Turner +3 mobile microphone will do the trick

"If you're looking for "Crisper" audio and less bass, the Astatic D104m6b would work well"

"If you're looking for more of a deeper audio with more bass, a Turner +3 mobile microphone will do the trick"

an 8 band graphic equalizer will accomplish the same thing with a single unamplified microphone. in the absence of equalization the first job of any microphone is to faithfully reproduce the original signal. the D104M6B and the Turner+3 fail to do that, as do most amplified microphones.

you did use the words "sound good" in your post. that's a fairly subjective phrase. preamplification is simply one of many "conditioniong methods" that can improve overall performance. you should become familiar with a long list of other options such as equalization, compression, limiting, downward expansion noise gating, impedance matching and rf/audio isolation.

pre-processing of the tx audio using these features will do a lot more to provide "good sound" and higher overall power output than adding ANY power mic. if you're looking for unrivaled tx audio performance for am & especially ssb then you can't help but look into all of this further.

in either event you may as well hold on to the RD104E. when you're ready to double - quadruple your investment in the tx audio end then you can make some meaningful improvements instead of wasting your money sampling every other power mic on the market.

StoneCrusher,

i don't know how "dx capable" your 148 is right now (or maybe you have another rig) but if you want to hear what i'm talking about tune in to 38lsb the next time the band is open into the southwest from pennsylvania and listen for NAO911. for the present (with few exceptions) i hear PA here almost daily.

http://www.firecommunications.com/1072644391.gif
http://www.firecommunications.com/solar.shtml

I use a D104M6B or a 575M6, both serve me well...In a big truck you may wish for a noise cancelling mic.

BTW, The member asked about a mic and not all the other stuff. If he wants to sample all the mics in the world it's his business.

Hey Guys,
I have an Older 148 GTL and I'm using it as a base for Am and sideband. I'm not familiar with that SP-1 setup........ I'll have to do some research on that. I never used any of the D104M6B or the 575M6 but it sounds like I should give them a try. I like those turner desk mic's in fact I had a turner +2 at one time. Hey thanks for you help and opions I appreciate it and I'll let ya all know what I decide!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.