• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power supply experts needed

Which power supply will max out first depends entirely on what it's exact output voltage is set at. Meaning if the little one is producing a few tenths of a volt more, it will exceed it's current rating first. Not only should the supplies be matched in amps, there voltage regulators should be set at precisely the same voltage.

Remember to look at the constant amperage reading which on the 12 amp supply is 10 amps constant and 12 amp surge I believe. The 7amp would be 5 amp constant and 7 amp surge or close on constant.

The surge just mean it will under a heavier load max out at the surge number but not recommended to tax the supplies full time at surge limits a 12 and a 7 amp supply are capable of 15 amps contstant and about 19 amps surge but again dont run it at surge levels to much or it will nmot las long.

In example if you have a corvette that will do 160 MPH and everyday you drove it at 160mph the engine wouldnt last very long ;)

Which power supply will max out first depends entirely on what it's exact output voltage is set at. Meaning if the little one is producing a few tenths of a volt more, it will exceed it's current rating first. Not only should the supplies be matched in amps, there voltage regulators should be set at precisely the same voltage.

good info

Astrons are OK with the parallel.

1115941088044333890S600x600Q85.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't try it with mismatched supplies. Limiting diodes and (as Shockwave mentioned) making sure the output voltage from both supplies is the same is critical in making the supplies work together. Some of the Astron supplies have the needed circuitry already built into them. They are identified by the addition of a 'parallel' output terminal on the back of them.

GLR, thanks for posting the pictures of my two Pyramids. Not equipment was harmed during this learning process. On the two jumpers were chokes. No big reason why except I always have a few on hand in case the situation a rises. I did have somebody come foward and explain what I had going on, no advantages and best to use the one. So it was done. After pricing power supplies I will be investing in a single higher amp one with voltage control. Remember laughing increases your stay here on Earth!

Didn't you already have an account here and you threw a fit about wanting to be removed, not coming back, etc? I'm not thinking so clearly today but that's what I'm remembering.

you could run your equipment off of a battery and use the ps to maintain it. I have known several ppl to do this for years with no problems. Its not the ideal setup but it does work when money is tight.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.