• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power supply for a 4x1446 box?

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
Well, everything is a go...I bought a house; and it has no restrictions, and no really close neighbors...

I might loaf my mobile 4x1446 AB-1 with my (older) Uniden President Washington base once I get my dipole back up.

I want to remember those 1446s pull about 10 amps per pill? What would be a good choice for a power supply that won't kill a budget? What are some brands that I should look at (or avoid)??

they usually pull about 6amps each, if you drive them beyond spec they will pull a maximum of 10amps each. depends on the drive, there only rated at 40w output each so in reality 6amp per transistor should be all it needs. keep in mind a powersupplys number isn't constant its peak. a pyrimid ps-52 would work, its rated at 40w constant and 52w peak. a ps-46 (35amp constant) would work as long as you run them they way they should be run, if you drive them into distortion it might be to small.

Thanks,

I would definitely have the radio matched to the amp, so that I get as little TVI as possible...I already know the radio has been compromised, so it needs redone anyway.

And if that means running the amp at lower than expected output, sobeit.

they usually pull about 6amps each, if you drive them beyond spec they will pull a maximum of 10amps each. depends on the drive, there only rated at 40w output each so in reality 6amp per transistor should be all it needs. keep in mind a powersupplys number isn't constant its peak. a pyrimid ps-52 would work, its rated at 40w constant and 52w peak. a ps-46 (35amp constant) would work as long as you run them they way they should be run, if you drive them into distortion it might be to small.

40 watts for an SD1446?? SGS Thompson's datasheet says they are speced for 70 watts at 50 MHz and slightly over 100 watts at 30 MHz. But what do they know, they just make them. :whistle:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-datasheets/Datasheets-5/DSA-98907.pdf

40 watts for an SD1446?? SGS Thompson's datasheet says they are speced for 70 watts at 50 MHz and slightly over 100 watts at 30 MHz. But what do they know, they just make them. :whistle:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf-datasheets/Datasheets-5/DSA-98907.pdf

Good one !!..You are right tho....I did not want to start a war....But what Booty posted for ya will work great....they do make a 90 amp model to...they even have a mod in them so you can run them on 16volts if ya want that to...They have worked great for alot of people..

Just bear in mind that the absolute maximum collector-emitter voltage is 18.0 volts. Anything more than that and you could be picking pieces of gold plating and beryllium oxide out of your teeth. :D

Just bear in mind that the absolute maximum collector-emitter voltage is 18.0 volts. Anything more than that and you could be picking pieces of gold plating and beryllium oxide out of your teeth. :D
I'm sure the voltage regulator for that strapping bias supply will probably go snap at around 15 to 18 volts anyway.:LOL:

I have no intentions of volting, this would be my first "amplified" base...baby steps...baby steps! I guess the next question is do you need a battery to add "capacity" to the system...to help with sudden voltage spikes on the draw?

Thanks for that link on the Iota, that looks like a real deal.

I have no intentions of volting, this would be my first "amplified" base...baby steps...baby steps! I guess the next question is do you need a battery to add "capacity" to the system...to help with sudden voltage spikes on the draw?

Thanks for that link on the Iota, that looks like a real deal.
Usually only an issue on ssb and it has nothing to do with CAPACITY but more to do with current supply.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.