• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power Supply Needed for Texas Star Amps??

The 100A I have is a 4 stage.

https://powermaxconverters.com/product/pm4-series-2/

The description says "Fixed output mode voltage can be set between 13.0 Vdc to 16.5 Vdc", but I haven't seen how to set it as that. Right now mine sits at 13.2V, and once in a while it jumps higher, but I have yet to see it over 13.6v. I didn't get a manual with it, it was a discounted display model, but there are no external switches.

Edit:
I just talked to Graham at PowerMaxx. I have the external fan model, which he said they quit production of about 18 months ago, and the new model has an internal fan and 2 switches accessible from the outside and you can turn off the stages and have it constant output with the one switch and the 2nd is a pot to adjust the output voltage.

Figures, I get screwed on eBay.. "Brand new Scratch and Dent!!!" nothing said of it being the old model....

I was going to respond about the side holes that have the fixed/charge mode and the adjustment pot for vDC..

The 75 amp runs about $170 or somm

Older thread, but comes up quite a bit it seems.

Here’s some testing I did on a new DX500V with DEIs, SSB only:

Tested at 27.395 lsb into dummy load. Daiwa CN-901HP peak reading meter. 13.8-13.9 volts measured at end of factory leads.

30w in = 590w out @ 60 amps
25 = 550 @ 56 amps
20 = 500 @ 53 amps
16 = 460 @ 51 amps
14 = 425 @ 49 amps
12 = 400 @ 47 amps < (where I’ll be running mine)
10 = 390 @ 46 amps
8 = 350 @ 44 amps

Reading analogue scales for watts and amps, so no decimals. Current was measured with a 75mv, 100 amp shunt resistor and a panel meter, voltage with a Fieldpiece multimeter.

My general rule of thumb on power supplies for amplifiers has always been, you will need at least 10 amps @13.8v per 100 watts, so a Texas Star 350 will need a 35A supply to be safe. This takes into effect resistive heat losses over the RF power being generated.
I've used the powermax converter chargers for the 350 and 500 before and worked like a charm. The powermax boxes come in various flavors of amperage so pick your poison at a lesser cost than some of the other supplies.
Hello, I bought a powermax 75 amp supply to run older Texas star do 350. Plenty of power but when I let off the key the lights on amp blinks. Also blink while talking. Looking for the reason. Is this damaging to my Amp? Thanks for any wisdom. 73

Last edited:
A Texas Star 500V can draw as much as 62~65 amps.
I have run several of these over the years. I operate them with a 75 amp power supply on a base station. I use an externally wired amp meter to monitor current draw.
I use the MFJ or Ameritron 75 Amp power supply. Have been for about 5 years.
I run the same setup. Texas Star 500V and an Ameritron 75 amp supply.

Reactions: Ranch55
Here is my experience with the DX-500V. Driving remained stable at 30W pep for tests:

Brand new, out of the box driving into dummy load:

27.385 LSB, FT-990 Radio, Daiwa 901 meter in pep ( not peak reading hold mode)

Output was 475W at 62 A draw. This is fresh out of the box.

Did a power wire upgrade with silicone #10, removing both fuse holders, attaching separate wires to each board for a total of 4 power wires, terminated with 175A Anderson power pole. AFTER the upgrade:

Output 675 W pep @ 45A draw

Also, this has DEI outputs in it. Been running this way for 6 months now without a hiccup. The amp is extremely clean, loud and always get awesome audio reports.

Hello, I bought a powermax 75 amp supply to run older Texas star do 350. Plenty of power but when I let off the key the lights on amp blinks. Also blink while talking. Looking for the reason. Is this damaging to my Amp? Thanks for any wisdom. 73

Had a 55 amp Powemax that did the same thing causing blinking. Hooked up a radio and meter to it with no amp connected. Caused the lights to blink on the radio, and the light in my meter to blink too.

Powermax said there was nothing wrong with it. Ended up selling it to a friend that used it to power a four tube mobile Elkin amp.

Bought a Megawatt 50 amp that powered a two pill(350 watts), dual final radio, and a meter. No more blinking lights.

Reactions: Greg T
My general rule of thumb on power supplies for amplifiers has always been, you will need at least 10 amps @13.8v per 100 watts, so a Texas Star 350 will need a 35A supply to be safe. This takes into effect resistive heat losses over the RF power being generated.

This quote was from my experience over 20 years ago, back in the Toshiba 2SC2879 Texas Star DX350/DX667V days, using Astron supplies, not switching, and not from current Chinese transistor amps. So, I can't say as to the efficiency of current amplifier builds.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated