• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power Wires

Switch Kit,
Interference is a pulsing or AC type thing. When you 'by-pass' interference causing DC devices you are giving That pulse or AC stuff an 'easy' path to ground, right? Same thing works for the radio at it's DC input.
It's always best to do the 'by-passing' at the source. That way the unwanted stuff doesn't get radiated by connections to other things. Of course, it doesn't hurt to do that 'by-passing' at both ends (other than your wallet) :).
- 'Doc

Sometimes there just not a easier softer way with this stuff :( to the source can some times be a lot of work to get at :( I've heard the horror stories , especially when guys have had to drop there whole gas tanks to get to the source :( or electric fans that are major work just to get to the pos and neg leads going into them. Times like these are when having a decent radio with anls and nb's on them can surely help a guy out if he doesn't feel the need to put himself through all that. :cry: I get tired just thinking about that crap. Thanks Doc

lords,
No, it doesn't mean they don't work. It means that they are not as economically sound to make and sell commercially. Because of the higher current draws of some vehicles now, those filters are not going to be 'miniature' in any way/shape/ form. Bigger means more expensive. And besides, 'Rat Shack' doesn't do that sort of stuff any more - lol.
Of course, you can always make your own. Oh boy! winding transformers etc.! Oh well... I didn't want one anyway...
- 'Doc

Hey! That'd be the perfect place to put one of those 1 fd caps. If you can find one with a high enough voltage rating...

karo,
Ah, but those 'condensers' did work. The thing is that they are frequency dependent on how -well- they work. And since that frequency depends on the speed of the alternator, which is usually changing fairly often... If you use a 'condenser' along with a 'choke', they worked pretty good (Pi filter networks). Several 'stages' of those networks worked even more-better. Back to that 'size' thingy. In the newer cars, where the @#$$ would you put it?
- 'Doc

Well, I finally got something from Premiere Electronics. After being 7 days late, after receiving from the mail lady I was extremely excited. After proceeding to rip open the envelope, I was dorry to see that it was the wrong product. I had ordered the heavy duty pwr cord w/ magnum noise filter. What I received was a regular pwr cord w/ +/- fuses. What a bummer. I think I am going to have to try the capacitor that W5LZ was talking about. Seems easy enough for me not to blow up too bad.

jonathan said:
Well, I finally got something from Premiere Electronics. After being 7 days late, after receiving from the mail lady I was extremely excited. After proceeding to rip open the envelope, I was dorry to see that it was the wrong product. I had ordered the heavy duty pwr cord w/ magnum noise filter. What I received was a regular pwr cord w/ +/- fuses. What a bummer. I think I am going to have to try the capacitor that W5LZ was talking about. Seems easy enough for me not to blow up too bad.

do yourself a favor CALL CALL CALL Make the CALL :p
Premiere Electronics...can be late but if you call them and say what you want they will repeat the order, so you know its right and then you know its all good....
and good luck on the cap issue:)

jonathan,
Two things. First, never having dealt with "Premiere Electronics" I have no idea if what happened is unusual or not. I think I'd let them know about it anyway. The second thing is please don't go buying one of those 1-fd caps cuz I said it would work good! 'Karo' is right, an 0.1 or 0.01 cap would work just as well, and you can spend the rest of that big cap price on beer. The 'biggy' is the voltage rating, make it something like 50 volts, just insurance. Oh, and non-polarized. Or, polarized will work too, just don't get it backwards! Something you won't do more than once - lol. (Or in my case, twice...)
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.