• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power Wires

jonathan

Mar 14, 2007
Memphis Tn.
Is there a way to install ten gauge power wires staight out of the back of the radio. Is it even a good idea. Or how about building power wires with out changing the power input at the back of the radio. Maybe also pwr cord wuth buit in noise filter. That filter thing I am not sur of. Never seen one, just heard of.

jonathan said:
Is there a way to install ten gauge power wires staight out of the back of the radio. Is it even a good idea. Or how about building power wires with out changing the power input at the back of the radio. Maybe also pwr cord wuth buit in noise filter. That filter thing I am not sur of. Never seen one, just heard of.

Magnum makes a power wire with a filter built in to it.

jonathan,
If you mean changing the wires coming out of the radio to a #10 instead of a smaller size, sure, it could be done, but there isn't much point to it. A size or two difference for the small length involved isn't going to make any difference in what is delivered to the radio. That assumes that the wire used is capable of carrying what the radio requires, which is a pretty safe bet, unless there has been a huge modification to the radio.
Not sure of what you mean by the next question. Using a larger than required size of wire to route power to the radio isn't usually a bad idea. There's a limit to that though. Once the size gets to the point where it get's sort of ridiculous, then it's just ridiculous, sort of (didn't make much sense did it?). It depends on the resistance of the wire used and the distance you have to go with it. I'm not aware of a general 'rule of thumb', sorry. Only sure way of telling you about size is to say that if you feel ~any~ heat radiated by the supply line, it's too small. (Terrible way of going about it but probably the most common?)
I'm not aware of any commercially available 'power line' with a built-in filter. The filters are pretty simple thingys to use, but the 'proper' size of supply line is always dependant on the particular installation and distance of the run. There are two basic methods of putting a noise filter in a power line and they depend on the type of filter. They either go in-line with the (+) wire, or from the (+) to ground. The 'in-line' filters are typically inductive in nature, the 'to ground' filters usually capacitive. Filters can be a combination of both too, so 'in-line' and 'to ground' are both possible at the same time. Confused yet? Don't feel bad, that's a very common feeling with electronics - lol.
- 'Doc

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Librium,
I'd think you're right. It's been quite a while since I've seen a 'filter' like that for sale. (That doesn't mean a lot, I seldom look for them either - lol.) The 'Shack' used to keep one or two hanging on the wall, but that's been a long time ago.
I'd be willing to bet that that little black box holds either a wire wrapped torroid or a capacitor, the capacitor being more probable. If one reduces the noise, cascading a couple (or more) should eliminate it (well, almost).
Being the naturally 'cheap' person that I am, I'd have to find a few fairly large capacitors and make the 'black box' myself. Wouldn't be as 'pretty', but as long as it works, who cares? (The only thing you'd really have to watch is the voltage ratings of the 'cow-pastures', 2-3 times the supply voltage.) Insulate them cuz they can/will bite you.
Good find.
- 'Doc

That is exactly what I am looking for. It wpould be great to build one myself. The thing is, I know just enough about electronics and electricity to blow something up. Thanks

I guess the Magnum it is then. Guess I ought to just buy then ask for forgiveness. Just spent $170.00 on radio equipment last weekend. The filter is only 20 bucks so i can get away with that. What an expensive addiction.

Try this instead. Couple of ceramic disk capacitors, about 0.01 uf (or larger) and at least 50 volts, from your local 'Rat Shack' or electronics parts store. One lead of each goes to the 'hot' wire, one of each to ground on the radio's power cable. (Ought'a be well under $20!) Don't short the capacitor's leads or the hot wire to ground. Insulate them some way, electrical tape will do fine. Send me the difference between actual cost and the $20! Oh, you can subtract postage.
- 'Doc

W5LZ said:
Try this instead. Couple of ceramic disk capacitors, about 0.01 uf (or larger) and at least 50 volts, from your local 'Rat Shack' or electronics parts store. One lead of each goes to the 'hot' wire, one of each to ground on the radio's power cable. (Ought'a be well under $20!) Don't short the capacitor's leads or the hot wire to ground. Insulate them some way, electrical tape will do fine. Send me the difference between actual cost and the $20! Oh, you can subtract postage.
- 'Doc

2 caps across the + and - terminals, is that what you are saying?

Since you've already got the filter and power cord coming, why not try that first. If it does the job, don't bother with any additional filtering. If not, then why not, can't hurt.
- 'Doc

W5LZ said:
- 'Doc
could this be easily done at the power jack in the radio as well ? Most radios tend to have 2 smalls one from the jack to the chassie . Hmmmmm I have done those caps at the sourse of the noise and they have helped somewhat but never like you have explained here doc. Very interesting. Wonder what Beetle might have to say about this ? but it sure does make since. Very good !!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.