• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

powersupply for palomar 225

B

BOOTY MONSTER

ive got a palomar 225 ab biased , filtered , 2x1446 amp .
Genuine Palomar 225 LINEAR Amplifier

insidepal225007.jpg

it has a 20 amp fuse in it . will a 25 amp contious P/S be enough for it ? i barely get it to hit almost 200 watts . im looking at this jetstream JPTS28 , its 25 amp continuous and 28 peak amps . it gets a perfect 5 from 22 reviews at eham.com and gets complimented on its lack of rf noise .
jtps28.gif

Jetstream

will this be enough to power the 225 ?

What you are seeing from that amplifier is about all your going to get out of 2 X SD1446 o I wouldnt expect anymore than that even with a new power supply.

i dont need more power from the amp . i want to keep the signal very clean so being just at 200 watts on a pair of 90 watt pills is fine for me . just wanted opinions on if the JPTS28 will be enough power supply without it being pushed too hard since itll be short duty cycles , just modulations peaks drawing less than 20 amps . and if its not how much should i be looking for .

ill read GLR's post later when i get more time .
he sure can get long winded some times ! ;)

Booty, have you checked reviews on that supply? Having never owned one I can't say, however with any switching supply Noise can be a concern, I imagine Eham has some reviews on it though...

Yeah figured you already did your homework, your probably going to be hard pressed to find a suitable used supply within your budget, about a year ago I was doing same thing Picked up an an Astron 35M for 100 shipped after about 2 months of daily searches on Ebay. Problem is the shipping, your looking at 30 pounds shipping weight. Might get lucky and I understand thats what your after.but the switching supply ships nice and cheap.

Good luck, on your search...

14 volts X 22 amps X .65 (AB1 efficiency) = 200.2 watts

so, max amp draw is going to be somewhere around 22-24 amps.

i would not trust the manufacturers claims on amp output of a power supply, as we know they will always bump these figures up a bit if at all possible.

i would go with a power supply that can deliver 30 amps continuous.
that way, you have a little wiggle room for manufacturer exaggerations.

good luck in your searches.
LC

Say Booty,Check out the alinco dm-330mv. 32 amp max output.variable voltage. its a switching power supply but it is noise free. looks great to. just another option for ya. i got one and it works great. i use it just for my icom 706mk2g.

thanks LC for calculating my amps minium amperage . going by that even a astron 35 will be too weak since its only 25 amp contious . i guess 20 amp fuses blow pretty slow . LOL
190 , i found the alinco you mentioned at HRO on sale for $145 with free ground shipping thats the best price i could find on it , but i really really dont want to spend that much :( .

i also found some decent prices on iota power suplies . the 30 amp can be had for 140 shipped . the 45 amp is 157 shipped . %50 more amps for only $17 more bucks is a no brainer if i go that route . id have to sell my d104 or my 78ltw , i for sure wont be selling my grant though !

I've seen a 25 amp continuous power supply run that exact amp with no problem at all.

thanks for all the helpful comments in this thread and great offers in my PM box . i found a astron rs-35m locally and ill be picking it up next week .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.