• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

pp1 noise toy.... low low volume!!!????

dxhound

Nov 17, 2006
I just put a pp1 noise toy in and this is my first time messing with them. I attached the blue wire to pin out 2 on the back side of the mic jack and rand ground to a board ground and 13.8v to a switched 13.8v on the pcb. But even with the pp1 adjustments all the way up I can barely hear the toy. Ive tried recording other people off air and my own voice when I had it hooked up to the PA out. Im at a loss and think I might have a bad toy. I have already seen the diagram on cbtricks and All that did was verify what I had already done. Any help is apreciated! Im getting ready to open the little red box and start looking for problems.

IM guessing you have the on-air hook up connected to the PP-1 ? the wires from that go to the button and Ex. speaker connection on radio board. (Not PA) What kind of radio is it ? You should also have somekind of talkback in the radio to hear the recordings 50 to 100 ohm resistor from pa to ex/speak grounds on the board. IM guessing I've been through a dozen of these in the last few years and never had a problem with them , if you are sure you have everything wired correctly ? you can take a pen knife and pry the box open and make sure none of the wires came loose from the PP-1's board , but like I said , you need a talkback resistor on the board to hear the recordings and the wire needs to go to the ex.speaker and not the PA if IM understanding you correctly here ? These are great recorders that can sound top notch , having the input and output pots make it so you can adjust for the best possible effects with your radio , it can take some practice, I try not to mess with them if I don't have to and just leave them the way they were when they came from the maker. A mic gain control on the radios can help at times with loudness and clairity. Good luck to you.
im002277vt9.jpg

Im using this on a connex 4600 turbo. The radio already has built in talk back and I have tried it on the PA and on EXT speaker. I also wired up a plug to my computer to record off of it. I can hear what I recorded but it is very very very low. It shouldnt make a diff. but i ran ground to the pcb ground and not the audio shield ground. Any diff there?

just like the picture above , you have 4 wires red to on/off switch / black to either mic plug ground or board ground / blue to audio pin on mic plug / on the on/air recorder 2 go to the push button and the other goes to Ex.Speaker on the board. did you open the on/air plug to make sure a wire didn't come unsoldered ? if you did and all was good , maybe you got a bad PP-1 ? but you are hearing something ...Hmmmmm as I said ,I've been through a lot of those and have yet to come across a bad one. Hmmmmmm

Problem solved!!!!!! I opened the toy and tested a few things. I found the rheostat for the input was bad and was stuck at almost off. Replaced it and it works like a charm. Switch, thanks for the help, I have the same setup as in your picture. What I ended up doing was making a speaker jack on the back next to the record button so I could inject toys as I saw fit. The play back button id just below the TX rx light. Heres the kicker!! I wired the Nb ANL always on and used the switch to switch between recording from the computer or recording off the ext speaker for on air recordings. I really like this toy now that its working like it should. Ill try to get pics!!

Thanks again Switch!!!! :D

Good to hear you found the problem I built a box with those , it has grown since this picture , I have a total of 4 x pp2s and 2 x pp1s in this box ,the rest are just standard toys. (I ran out of room in the box) it has a total of 13 functions now. It's great that you added the stereo plug !! if and when I feel the need to change anything ? I just bench the whole unit and do it that way . IM sure you have seen the boxes with 8 x pp1's with the stereo plugs below the buttons ? Those are very nice !! but pricey this is what made me decide to make my own , ( I tend to change things around from time to time) there is nothing in the radio except a TRB-1 echo board.
1.on and off air recorder
2. Beverly Hillbillies
3.Twilight Zone
4.Bugle call
5.Andy Griffith
6.Bomb Drop (blow'em up !)
7.The Pink Panther
8. Get Smart
9.Benny Hill
10.Bugle-Charge !!
11.Green Onions
12.F-Troop