• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pre purchase opinions needed!

NightOwl3261

Jul 24, 2020
Been out of it for awhile and now back in. Is Hopper a good builder as good as any out there at the moment? Other options? Help me before I pull da trigger....

Reactions: Eldorado828

Time to get serious -
hl-2_5kfx_f_large.jpg

Tin man amps, I own 2 from him and although I've used them very little I'm very pleased. He's meticulous with his work but I'll say there is a wait so patience is needed.
The patience thing is not my gig. Years ago, since good techs are hard to find, I dropped off a radio to repair and was told 2-4 weeks. One year later I said fug it and went to pick it up. Found it in the exact location I set it in his shop when I dropped it off. Lesson learned, the funny thing is every time I called he said “it’s on the bench Right Now.” Tooooo funny...

Reactions: Eldorado828
Yes Hopper is good. I have a 1x2 built by him not long ago. Once it's built, you won't know the difference between a Hopper or Fatboy...just different labels.

Carl built vs Hopper? Carl's prices are a bit lower for the same basic specs. One question is why such a high stated amp draw for example for a 400HD Stated Max is 110 draw?. At Texas star 500v draws nothing that high. Does b bias calm that amp draw down? What is the difference between these 2 builders in final product, service and turn around time?

Last edited:
Fatboy/Hopper same thing. Don't know anything about Carlbuilt.

Do know that I ran a DaveMade M400 1x4 for years on a 60 amp fuse. I think some guys sling 20 volts and lots of PEP into amps. That's the reasoning behind max amp draw numbers I reckon.

Texas star 500v does around 500, the 400hd is a high drive with about 80 watts drive I see close to 1100. That is why the amp draw is higher. More power

Carl built vs Hopper? Carl's prices are a bit lower for the same basic specs. One question is why such a high stated amp draw for example for a 400HD Stated Max is 110 draw?. At Texas star 500v draws nothing that high. Does b bias calm that amp draw down? What is the difference between these 2 builders in final product, service and turn around time?

Not sure but I just ordered a hopper straight 6 with b bias, will post pics when I get it hopefully within the next 2 weeks or so.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.