1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Preacherman modded 50 watt cobra 29

Discussion in 'CB Radio Modifications' started by mackmobile43, Sep 21, 2008.

1. mackmobile43

mackmobile43 Jock Supporter

What's that red light all about and would it affect the radios output readings on a watt meter? me thinks so and there is no meter present to prove or deny it really does 50 watts.

Picture017.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2. Bionic Chicken

Bionic Chicken Active Member

Red light is only a transmit indicator. 50 watts.......................of course it will do that. Doesn't every tuned radio do at least that much? The only thing he forgot to mention was that the 50 watts was on a "preacherman" tuned wattmeter. Notice the amount of swing on the meter of the radio also. About stock deflection as far as I can tell. Supermod, tuned, etc, would show more swing on the radio meter I would think.

3. Chop

Chop Active Member

my only preacherman radio was a magnum s-380. it would swing over 100w all day long! got nothing but flowers with that rig, and preacherman did me right on the price. if he says it's doing 50, i believe it's doing 50!! enjoy, it sure sounds good, lol.

4. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

I can get a Cobra 29 to do 50 watts, or real close as measured on a Bird43P. I used to have video clips up that showed it with a spectrum analyzer video also. I've done this to several of Cobra 29's that I've owned. I don't have access to a spec analyzer anymore, but I do have a Bird43P on my bench. Maybe if I get time I'll hook it up to the bench and shoot a video...

5. Bionic Chicken

That would be nice to see. While you are at it explain to me how you can get 50 watts out of a device rated at 15-20 watts? Of course you might be replacing the final with something other than a direct replacement and doing a lot of modding. The best 29 I have ever seen would key 5 and swing about 16 on a Bird 43 without a PEP kit. But it was no where near close to being a stock radio.

6. Chop

Chop Active Member

you obviously have never dealt with sparky's cb shack. i had a stealth model 29 from sparky's. 2w carrier, swinging to 47w all day, everyday. when tuned properly, a cobra 29/uniden 76 will produce some crazy numbers. of course, the power that matters is the watts on freq. say what you want, but it can done.

7. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

It takes quite a lot of changes. Also remember, an AM only radio uses a step-up voltage transformer that will almost double the voltage fed into the driver and final. Use the search on the forum; it's been discussed a lot over the years.

8. Bionic Chicken

I understand the mods but also know they are very sensitive to any reflected power. Don't get me wrong...not saying it can't be done. It's just a lot of extra work to get a radio to do an amplifiers job. Just like in racing........you can overstress everything to get impressive results but they can come back to bite you with the smallest of issues.
    I guess each to his own. But as I stated in the initial post you would expect the radio meter to have more swing if the radio was actually doing that type of wattage since it is a sample of output power. You would think it should be slamming the wall.

Have a great day.

9. freecell

freecell BANNED

"2w carrier, swinging to 47w all day, everyday."

a transmitter producing that peak to carrier ratio is no longer operating AM.
    sparky must have forgotten to mention that to you.

10. 74IN

74IN Well-Known Member

DSB.

11. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Actually DSBRC . Double sideband reduced carrier as opposed to the normal double sideband full carrier AM or double sideband suppressed carrier of TX'ing USB and LSB together at the same time.

12. freecell

freecell BANNED

when they come into the shop here we just refer to them as "sparky's splatterboxes". you just wish they did 47W @ 27Mhz. but they don't.

1 person likes this.
  13. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

(y) (y)

14. Bionic Chicken

Anything off of 27 Mhz would show up on the spectrum analyzer I would think. Maybe the scale resolution is set to 1 Khz and there is just one big, wide peak?

15. freecell

freecell BANNED

not hardly. harmonic tx power at 54 and 81Mhz. aren't going to be seen on the spectrum analyzer. nice try. make your power measurements with a scope and subtract that from 47W and you'll see how much of it isn't occurring at the fundamental.