• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Preamp

74IN

Feb 17, 2003
Labia
The only thing I dislike about my Kenwood 430 is a lack of one.

It has an attenuator, but no preamp.

Any good external ones?

I wouldn't bother with one. Here's the key test: does the noise level go up when you hook up an antenna? If the answer is yes, then you're radio is sensitive enough to pick up everything on the band. Adding a preamp may actually make things worse by adding IMD or other bugs in the process.

I agree with 'cyclops1970', in most cases a preamp just isn't necessary. Another way of looking at it is that those radios with a preamp are 'set' sort of at less sensitivity than possible. The preamp just disables that 'attenuation' to a 'normal' state. Not sure what that sort of thinking means, oh well...
- 'Doc

I don't know about these HF rigs ? but I think a good receive amp is really nice where SSB is concerned. (AM is another story.) I use one in my car 24/7 , works great.

IM guessing I may not be on the same page concerning this thread ?

If, as already was written, the noiselevel rises when you insert the antenna, you don't need an pre amp.

For that you have the audio gain.
Inserting an pre amp will overload the preamp in the transciever when you get strong signals, raise your noise level too.

Too much amplification will overdrive the first mixer as well, causing other unwanted problems.

The AGC will drive the amplification down for the regulated sections, so the end result is an higher S meter read out, but will not improve the signal quality.

Only real deaf recievers need preamps, but then mostly the reciever section needs an tune up.

Don't bother with a preamp. It is not needed on HF and the lower you go the less the need.All it will do is make the meter read a bit higher. I have yet to see a properly functioning HF rig that needed a preamp to hear something that could not not heard without it.

PreAmps ( good ones that is ) are good to use
But only advisable for VHF or higher frequency's
And even then is best if antenna mounted

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.