• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator 10K

Right at 1.4 on 20. I believe another quarter inch or so and I'll get there. And that's with the stinger flat on the bottom. Imo, that will be a good thing. In case the set screw EVER does loosen it can't slide on down. But, I always keep a good eye on these set screws. When I get it set, I may add a small drop of blue lock tight on it.

Rather odd you have to trim the whip. The whip on the Predator has quite a bit of adjustment on it.

I've used these antennas and they do work well. They're light weight for it's size and rather long for a shortened mobile antenna especially the single coil version with 27 inch lower mast. This is a good thing because the longer the antenna means less coil matching is needed. This is why it's close in performance to a 102" whip where it won't hardly be noticeable on the receiving radio. It also has good bandwidth so you can run a wide range of channels before re-tuning.

On paper, the 102" whip is still the best due to the fact it's a 1/4 wave at 27 mHz and doesn't need a loading coil like all other shortened mobile antennas. And the bandwidth on a 102 whip is as good as it gets.

Coils on shortened mobile antennas equal losses due to inductive properties required to raise the feedpoint impedance when a mobile antenna is less than a 1/4 wavelength. That's the tradeoff using an antenna with a more manageable height.

However, the 102 whip isn't exactly perfect either, if you check the antenna with an analyzer you should see the feedpoint impedance around 37 ohms, not 50 but it's close enough where it's not going to hurt anything.

When tuning antennas, the CB world says to balance the SWR between channels 1 and 40. All this does is give a compromise tune between those channels.

Myself and many others tune antennas for the lowest SWR at the frequency operated most at and rely on the antennas bandwidth to cover frequencies above and below that point. This is where modern analyzers make doing this much easier by scanning the band so you can see exactly where the lowest SWR is and how much bandwidth it has and adjust the whip accordingly.

Your antenna has plenty of bandwidth, I seem to remember a good +/- 300 kHz between a near flat SWR and up to a 1.9 so there is no need to be concerned as the SWR will climb as you change channels above or below you're lowest tuned point. But, once you get near a 2.0 SWR, it's time to re-tune or use an antenna tuner if you do operate that far away.

Good luck with your setup and mobile safe!

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Right at 1.4 on 20. I believe another quarter inch or so and I'll get there. And that's with the stinger flat on the bottom. Imo, that will be a good thing. In case the set screw EVER does loosen it can't slide on down. But, I always keep a good eye on these set screws. When I get it set, I may add a small drop of blue lock tight on it.
1/4" may do it but be certain the vehicle is in a wide-open area before you continue to trim.
How many watts are you checking the SWR at?

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
1/4" may do it but be certain the vehicle is in a wide-open area before you continue to trim.
How many watts are you checking the SWR at?
Well the Lincoln puts out about 35 to 45 I believe. That's what the meters indicate anyway. And what President says themselves. I turn the rf power and mic gain down when I check it. Out in the middle of a field with the nearest houses or power lines at least 150 - 200 yards away.

Reactions: Keto and 881TX6666
Well. I had to trim nearly 4 inches off the Predator Whip to get the swr down. As it is right now, it is
1.04 swr on channel 1 with 0.02 reflect.
1.15 swr on channel 40 with 0.05 reflect
1.09 swr on channel 20 with 0.03 reflect.

All readings with an MFJ-845 digital meter that shows output, reflect, and swr only. Meter is powered by a usb cable plugged into my cigarette lighter.
The radio swr meter doesn't show reflect but, the swr is extremely close to what the MFJ-845 is showing. Don't know a whole lot about reflect or, how accurate the reflect reading is. I don't have anything else to compare it to.
This after trimming an additional quarter inch or so. It's still pretty darn tall. Taller than me and I'm 6'2".
One thing is certain, Kales antennas are built extremely well and, the stingers are extremely hard! Not worried about damaging the stinger!

Anyway, are these reflect readings ok, normal?
I don't know much about reflect in antennas.

Last edited:
This after trimming an additional quarter inch or so. It's still pretty darn tall. Taller than me and I'm 6'2".
One thing is certain, Kales antennas are built extremely well and, the stingers are extremely hard! Not worried about damaging the stinger!
Yes, Kale builds excellent antennas, and he is very good at standing behind his product.
Me and Kale have butted heads in the past over a few things, but I will recommend the 22" and 27" inch single coil as good stuff.
He must be 90 by now......

Jeff

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Well. I had to trim nearly 4 inches off the Predator Whip to get the swr down. As it is right now, it is
1.04 swr on channel 1 with 0.02 reflect.
1.15 swr on channel 40 with 0.05 reflect
1.09 swr on channel 20 with 0.03 reflect.

All readings with an MFJ-845 digital meter that shows output, reflect, and swr only. Meter is powered by a usb cable plugged into my cigarette lighter.
The radio swr meter doesn't show reflect but, the swr is extremely close to what the MFJ-845 is showing. Don't know a whole lot about reflect or, how accurate the reflect reading is. I don't have anything else to compare it to.
Wow! 4 inches?

Yes, Kale builds excellent antennas, and he is very good at standing behind his product.
Me and Kale have butted heads in the past over a few things, but I will recommend the 22" and 27" inch single coil as good stuff.
He must be 90 by now......

Jeff
AudioShockwav.
Are those reflect readings I took today, the ones I mentioned above, normal, or ok? I've never had a meter that showed reflect readings until I got the MFJ so, I'm not really familiar with "reflect", and what the readings should be.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?